Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MCD update... Wheezing?

Post Thanks / Like

When Jasper started to have a cough at 9 years old, he like Leo and Pippin had an ECG and heart scan, and they found like Pippin that he had an enlarged heart and quite a lot of fluid - which the water tablet soon sorted out, he also like Pippin had problems with his left mistral valve. Jasper was insured until he was 11 but the insurance company priced us out really as they put up the excess and the monthly premiums were so high and we had to start to pay 20 per cent of the bill and as we knew he would never be able to have an operation we cut our losses, it`s only now that it is becoming quite expensive for us medication wise. Our younger dog is insured. When Jasper has wheezed - which is not very often, I have increased his water tablet, but mainly for him the cough is his problem. Hope you get Elizabeth comfortable soon and you have a long life with her.
    Pam

Post Thanks / Like

**UPDATE**

Hi all, just want to say thankyou for all the advice, it's a vey reassuring feeling to know you have somewhere to turn with lots of knowledgeable people.
    I have spoken to the vet again today and stressed my concern to which the medication Elizabeth is taking (Prilactone and Fortekur) there seems to be very little improvement now and she is still not herself.
    I again asked the vet about Vetmedin, I told her that I have heard nothing but good stories about this med and price is not an issue - so the vet said she is happy for her to start Vetmedin but would like to stop the prilactone she doesn't want her on this as well as vetmedin.
    I now have 14 day course of the vetmedin to try, which will leave her taking Fortekur and Vetmadin daily.
    Does this sound ok and a suitable mix????? (It is really something when I have to ask if what information my vet is telling me sounds right!!!!!!! )

I am going to see how she gets on and if no improvement change to a different vets for a 2nd opinion on her CHF condition and meds.
    I am still recording her daily water intake to see if blood tests are required so far its ranging from 350 - 200 ml per day ( 1 short ish walk each day)

Just praying this does the trick and she returns to her normal self - just hope this isn't a sign of the inevitable :-(

Will keep you all updated
    Ellie & Little Elizabeth

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyaboutcavs View Post
    ... I now have 14 day course of the vetmedin to try, which will leave her taking Fortekur and Vetmadin daily.
    Does this sound ok and a suitable mix????? (It is really something when I have to ask if what information my vet is telling me sounds right!!!!!!! )

I am going to see how she gets on and if no improvement change to a different vets for a 2nd opinion on her CHF condition and meds.
    I am still recording her daily water intake to see if blood tests are required so far its ranging from 350 - 200 ml per day ( 1 short ish walk each day) ...
    Fortekor is an ACE-inhibitor which usually works well with Vetmedin. There is a cardiologist "Consensus Statement" which was published in 2009 and still is the best source of information for veterinarians on how to treat congestive heart failure due to mitral valve disease. I suggest that you print a copy of it for your vet, because he still does not seem to know all that he should about CHF. Here is a link to it: http://www.cavalierhealth.org/images...ccvhd_2009.pdf

According to this Consensus Statement, it seems that your dog is at Stage C2, which is discussed beginning on page 1145. Typically (but not necessarily) one of the medications for CHF is a diuretic, such as furosemide. This usually is given along with an ACE-inhibitor (such as Fortekor), in order to balance the possible side effects of the furosemide. And, the third medication in the MVD cocktail is the Vetmedin. So, I am wondering why your vet has not included the diuretic. Maybe there is little or no sign of fluid in the lungs.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya I really hope Elizabeth starts to improve. Leo takes the three cocktail drugs of Vetmedin, the ACE inhibitor and frusemide.
    He drinks like a fish at the moment. At least your vet is listening to you but really you shouldn't have to ask, he ought to know.
    The horrible thing is that we don't know what valuable time we have left with our beloved dogs... yes the inevitable will eventually happen but If we're lucky the med give us extra time and in some cases like Pam's Jasper its years

I agree its great to have so much wonderful support here

Mel
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

When Jasper was put on the Vetmedin, he initially was given 14 days supply to see how he got on, it certainly improved his cough, our vet said it normally helps within a couple of weeks, but I felt it took a little longer. When Jasper was taken worse in October last year the vet described Jasper`s heart beat as a drum completely out of control, but since being on the Vetmedin his heart has calmed down, Jasper hates the vets and gets very anxious, on every visit he barks as soon as he gets in the car (don`t know how he knows he is going there) and all the way there. The vet realizes Jasper gets stressed out so makes allowances for this on the visits, that is why we like to see the same person each time.

Keep us informed how Elizabeth gets on.

Mel - the cocktail of Fortekor, Frusemide and Vetmedin do not seem to make Jasper drink very much - he has never really drank very much.
    Last edited by jasperpaw; 25th January 2014 at 03:53 PM.
    Pam