Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trick training ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trick training ideas

Just wanting some advice or ideas on tricks I can train Mushroom, she already does the usual sit, stay, drop, speak and jumps through a hoop. Have any of you got ideas for other cool things I can train her?

Peace xo

Nat, Mushy and Mogwai

Post Thanks / Like

Try youtube amazing what you can learn on there.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Lucky is a certified Novice Trick dog ... don't want to hijack your post, but if you want I can post a video of him doing some tricks if they help you

some tricks he does are:

weave through my legs
    jump over my legs
    army crawl
    jump through a hoop
    skateboard
    one that I call "circus elephant" (basically front paws on a round flat object & walks around it with back feet)
    spin (left and right)
    shake hands
    Wave
    paws up (on an object)
    Say your prayers (paws up with head down - you can lure with a treat to get this action)
    Take a Bow

Shake is pretty easy to start with, as is Spin. A young dog will probably do play dead and roll over more easily ... Lucky struggles with that. It's just not a trick he enjoys.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our trainer sent us this link after the first class ... maybe it will inspire you!

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/167

also check out this site - this is the organization that does the trick dog certifications:
    http://domorewithyourdog.com/pages/d...thyourdog.html
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

I just wish I could teach BellaMia to put ALL her toys back in the toy box!
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

6. Likes cpell009 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much, I'd love to see videos of Lucky doing some tricks

Post Thanks / Like

You should look at the box training website and learn how! it's completely possible!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A great book is Brain Games for Dogs by Claire Arrowsmith -- available through the Cavalier Matters shop (profits go to cavalier rescue and health research; they ship anywhere).

A cavalier was one of the demonstration dogs for the book's illustrations!

http://cavalier-gift-shop.org/for-yo.../prod_211.html

Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Luke has an intermediate trick dog title I think. kikopup on YouTube has a lot of good ideas.
    Right now Luke is working on going around objects. He'll go around one way but not the other, and spinning without hand signals. Also sitting up and begging, but he has a really hard time balancing for that one. One thing you can do once they learn some stuff is to combine it. Ask for two commands, or three. We did this last year at clicker expo. Luke's first one that he did at the expo was go (to a chair I pointed at) + sit (on the chair) and wave. I was trying to get him to do a backward crawl with back + down, but he had a different interpretation. He backed up, then laid down. He just won't crawl. I did get him to back up while doing a bow though. He can figure 8 through my legs, but couldn't figure out how to do that backwards. He can't go backwards and curve, and also couldn't do back while going around an object (he backed up the walked around it). It's interesting to see how he interprets these combos should be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Luke knows so much! I hope I can train my dogs to do some more advanced tricks like that I'm trying to teach mushy ATM to bark once twice or three times depending how many fingers I hold up and what I ask for but she has no idea, I am probably doing it wrong, but giving it a shot anyway, it's hard though to train her with the other two dogs here ATM also wanting treats.

Ive been combining jump through a hoop sit and speak and jump through the hoop again and she got that quite fast