Thread: Shortage of Lacrilube in the UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Shortage of Lacrilube in the UK

As usual I went into my local Boots Chemist today for a tube of Lacrilube for Holly P, but I was told they are out of stock 'due to manufacturing difficulties', so I got a bus into Sutton Coldfield, where they have a bigger branch, only to be told the same thing. I asked for Viscotears as an alternative, but they have sold out of that because there has been a rush on it due to the problem with Lacrilube.

Back in Erdington High Street there are 3 different pharmacies: When Lloyds told me they have Laci in stock I asked for 3 tubes, only to be told they only have one left in stock, so on I went to Superdrug, who initially told me they are out of stock, but then found a single tube at the back of the shelf. So I went on to the small family run pharmacy at the top of the road, where I am well known because I get all my prescriptions there. Not a problem at all in buying another 4 small tubes so now I have 6, which should last a couple of months.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

2. Thanks KCB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Flo, many thanks for your thread re shortage of Lacrilube. I use this on one of my dogs who has lost the ability to blink so eyes need loads of lubrication. At the moment there is no shortage here in Ireland so I have managed to pick up a few tubes because surely if there is a shortage in UK it will follow on in Ireland. If you need any more tubes I would be delighted to get you some and post them on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your reply KCB. Yes, I would think Ireland will be affected too, because there is probably only one factory for the whole of the UK and Ireland and apparently they are not producing the product.

My girl has Curly Coat and Dry Eye, which means frequent lubrication of the surface of the eyes to prevent the friction which causes corneal ulcers. She has Protopic as well but there doesn't seem to be a problem with that.

I am sorry that your dog has lost the ability to blink. Is this a age related or due to some disease or injury?

It is so good of you to offer to share your supply of Lacrilube. I will of course get in touch if I run out.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK