Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaccinations

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone gave such great answers that I only can add, read the information and decide what you feel comfortable with. I live in an area with high parvo risk so I decided on a 3 year schedule. ETA: 3 yr. vs 7 yr.
    owned by BratBoy ^see avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a question about this.I'm living in Europe, but in order to keep a pet passport current I'm required to keep get parvo/distemper/etc annually, and the rabies is every 3 years.

That's what all the vets in Belgium have said, is there any way I can do the 3 year vaccination schedule in Europe or is that just pie-in-the-sky recommendations and not actually "legal"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Try going on to the DEFRA web site and looking at the requirements for the issue of Pet Passports which should give you details of the requirements in the UK. I have no idea about the rest of Europe.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

wowzers did i open a can of worms! haha sorry guys.

Ok so this round a shots is a go..

she is due febuary 14th (lucky her vday) would it be the end of the world (or really dangerous )to wait 1 month and get them done in mid march?
    trying to sort out budget and what i owe my mum (money conversations with mom are never fun )

so her next set..she wont need till shes 3 or 4? if they last roughy 3 years?
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Super Princess View Post
    wowzers did i open a can of worms! haha sorry guys.

Ok so this round a shots is a go..

she is due febuary 14th (lucky her vday) would it be the end of the world (or really dangerous )to wait 1 month and get them done in mid march?
    trying to sort out budget and what i owe my mum (money conversations with mom are never fun )

so her next set..she wont need till shes 3 or 4? if they last roughy 3 years?
    Chelsea- that is pretty much my plan with Fletcher.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

I have just been through all of this with my vet. My elder cavalier, Dillon was 'due' for his annual shots (the one after the 15 month booster) having read Dr Dodds,WSAVA and other available information I was totally compelled to avoid having these boosters without finding out whether Dillon actually needed them or not! This was not an easy thing to do. I live on a tiny island, and the one vet we have is excellent in many ways - but what he was telling me about vaccinations and boostering really was against all the research and latest guidelines. Now, I cannot fall out with my vet, BUT I decided that the surgery on a busy Friday evening was not the place to argue the toss. So, when I got home I wrote him a long email explaining my thoughts and decisions and asked if he could arrange titre testing for Dillon. He was actually most obliging and arranged the test which came back with the highest positive reading possible - so Dillon did not get boostered. The next hurdle was going to be our boarding kennels which are actually on our sister island - they were very accommodating and have said there is no problem we can still board him - we will just need to produce the written test results when we book. I have said that if need be, I will test every 12 months. Also, I will do the same with my younger cavalier, Lucy later this year.

I am so relieved that I have gone this route. It would have been so easy just to do as I was told and not to question. I am another person who is very troubled about the protocols some vets are still following DESPITE the evidence to suggest otherwise. It is shameful and I cannot understand why.

I would urge anyone who is in this quandary to read the publications Karlin has outlined. If your vet insists on boosters when you think they are wrong then go home and write to them telling them what you want to do and why.
    Dillon tri boy and Lucy Goose our ruby girl & Katerina, that's me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for this contribution to the discussion! It's encouraging to hear of a gentle but firm challenge going smoothly. I do think there are many places quite happy to accept a three+ year booster schedule and/or titer test, if people ask. Great result!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kate H View Post
    I hope Pets as Therapy will eventually catch up with the latest veterinary thinking about vaccination
    Sorry if this is a bit of a necro (is that possible here?) but I wanted to ask you about this, Kate. I was just reading the Pets as Therapy application and registration process factsheet - link - and my attention was drawn to the following extract under "suitable dogs and cats":

All visiting pets must be fully vaccinated or homoeopathically protected, wormed and protected against fleas. Records are required by the charity and each volunteer is

requested to send copies when boosters have been administered.
    What does Pets as Therapy consider to be "homeopathically protected" in this context? Just curious as I saw you had mentioned it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everyone

I've just read through the Pets as Therapy guidelines and read vaccination as being just that: initial vacs/puppy vacs. I am certainly not against vaccination!! it is unwarranted boosters of those vaccinations when they are very often not required and are harmful to our pets. I haven't done a great deal of research on the homeopathic route, but I guess they mean homeopathic 'nosodes' - some people use them to boost. Maybe someone on the forum has some knowledge about them or even uses them.

Just my 2 cents!
    Dillon tri boy and Lucy Goose our ruby girl & Katerina, that's me!

10. Thanks Threed thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a Pets as Therapy Area Coordinator I checked this out with the head office recently and they are happy with vaccinations every three years, as now recommended by the British Veterinary Association. Persuading your vet to move from annual vaccinations is another matter!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

12. Thanks Threed thanked for this post