• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Charlie seems uninterested in his dog food

CharlieTriBoy

Hello,

My 8-month old Charlie has been uninterested in his food for awhile. I don't know if I should try something else, but he's never been a big eater. His vet was not too concerned. She said he'll eat when he's hungry and also said, you don't want an overweight dog either. I've tried wetting his dry kibble with a little warm water, that helped and now he's uninterested again. He eats Fromm Puppy Gold. I know it's a good dog food, but like I said, I've been trying different things, even right down to letting him eat out of my hand, until I came to my senses and thought this is crazy, I'm not going to start this habit! Anyway, I sometimes babysit my daughter's older Scottie dogs that are 11 and 12 and have some of their food here (I don't know what kind it is, some senior-type dry dog food I'm sure), and have been mixing a little in with Charlie's food. I am wondering if I should change his food or just let this be as this is the way he eats. I know when we do go over to my daughter's house, he runs for her dog's food bowl and gobbles up all of their food as fast as he can. He's been to the vet for updated vaccination and all is good with his health, he weighed 21.4 lbs.

Thank you.

Shelley
Charlie's Mom

21.4 lbs sounds huge for a cavalier at 8 months old, but I don't know how big your cavalier is. As long as there is nothing wrong with him, he will eat, like your vet said. Just put the food down, leave it there for 15-20 minutes, and when it's done take the food. Don't give him anything else until it's time to eat again. You could probably change him to an adult food, as long as it says it's for all life stages, but otherwise, I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't mix the other food in. If he likes it better, he might just pick that out and not eat his own food.

21.4 lbs sounds huge for a cavalier at 8 months old, but I don't know how big your cavalier is. As long as there is nothing wrong with him, he will eat, like your vet said. Just put the food down, leave it there for 15-20 minutes, and when it's done take the food. Don't give him anything else until it's time to eat again. You could probably change him to an adult food, as long as it says it's for all life stages, but otherwise, I wouldn't change anything. I wouldn't mix the other food in. If he likes it better, he might just pick that out and not eat his own food.

We went to a Cavalier get-together the other day and I noticed that he was a little bigger than some of the other Cavaliers. There were 40 in all. Lots and lots of different sizes. I hope he doesn't get any bigger. His mother was 19 lbs.

My 6mo pup Remy had me jumping through hoops during feeding times because he wasn't interested (basically doing what you do with changing foods, hand feeding, etc..) but, I discovered he can be very manipulative! I decided not to play his games. I put his food down and what ever isn't eaten is picked up after about 20 minutes. I try 3 different times during the day.

Currently he dosen't even want to eat until around noon (which I find strange because every dog I've owned wants to eat first thing in the morning) and when he does eat at noon...just picks. About 5 pm he will eat his whole amount for the whole day. I try giving him more later evening but, usually no interest.

I hope I'm doing it right...but, he is gaining weight--so he must getting what he needs.

You might try reducing her kibble a small amount and replace it with a like amount of frozen cut green beans or peas or some small pieces of cut up carrots. Since he runs to other dogs food bowls, it sounds like he is just bored with his own food, although I don't know why...I looked up Fromm Puppy Gold and it looks like it's very good dog food. I think your vet gave good advice though, he will eat when he is hungry.

Abby is 8 months old too and at about 19lbs. and so far, we have not had that problem....we feed her blue buffalo chicken/rice puppy food. Currently, she gets about 1.5 cups/day, half at around 6am and half at around 3pm.....and believe me, that little girl can tell time... :)

For many Cavaliers, food is a very good way of getting attention - as your Charlie is proving, it works a treat! And if you don't want to have a picky feeder for the next 10 or 12 years, you need to toughen up now. If he's interested in other dog's food, he's actually hungry, so there's no reason why he shouldn't eat his own good quality food. As Lukesmom says, put it down just as it is, leave it down for 10 minutes and then take it up again if it hasn't been eaten. Then no treats, no extras, until the next meal time. But dogs aren't robots, they're individuals, and if he still shows a preference for having his main meal at night, then go with that, so that when he starts eating regularly he has light breakfast (and lunch as long as he's on three meals) and bigger supper - my Oliver as he's got older prefers it that way too. Then you can add veg (and fruit - my Aled loves banana and melon!), sardines, scraps of chicken when you boil up a carcase for soup, and so on. I think the running to other dogs' dishes is because he doesn't need to use those to get your attention, as he does at home.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks all. Great advice. I tried it today, starting this morning. Charlie wasn't interested in the two times I put his food down. The third time I put his food down he ate it all and that wasn't until 2:00 p.m. this afternoon. That is the first time in a long time that I haven't had to play some dumb food game with him. Thanks so much, I really appreciate the great advice!

Shelley
Charlie's Mom

We've had Bentley since he was 10 wks and that was 3 yrs ago. For the first few months he was manipulating us that way, eating out of our hands, only eating from his dish if I enhanced the kibble with one little scrap of chicken, or some other game. Now he's raring to go to his dish for breakfast as soon as we all get up, gets a tiny treat (and I mean tiny) every time he comes in from pottying. (I know, I know, still manipulating), then he starts staring at me about 4:30 pm, which is his way of asking for supper. He's on Science Diet low calorie small kibble. He weighs at least 26 lbs, doesn't look fat at all, eats 1/2 cup morning & evening. He would definitely eat more if we provided it.

We've had Bentley since he was 10 wks and that was 3 yrs ago. For the first few months he was manipulating us that way, eating out of our hands, only eating from his dish if I enhanced the kibble with one little scrap of chicken, or some other game. Now he's raring to go to his dish for breakfast as soon as we all get up, gets a tiny treat (and I mean tiny) every time he comes in from pottying. (I know, I know, still manipulating), then he starts staring at me about 4:30 pm, which is his way of asking for supper. He's on Science Diet low calorie small kibble. He weighs at least 26 lbs, doesn't look fat at all, eats 1/2 cup morning & evening. He would definitely eat more if we provided it.

Must be those big brown eyes and those cute little faces that can manipulate us!

Yes, they are past masters at it - 400 years of breed practice! Blenheims seem to be the best at it - those huge eyes looking at you, clearly saying 'I haven't had anything to eat for days, I really need that biscuit you've got!' :lol: But for the sake of their waistline and hearts, and for our own sanity, we have to harden our hearts.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back