Thread: lonely and bored tri color needs an attentive home

Post Thanks / Like

Default lonely and bored tri color needs an attentive home

hi everyone

its very sad that my 1st post is in regards to finding a new home for my 3 yr old male cavalier called murphy

he is finding it difficult to adjust to me going to work full time, resulting in distructive and attention seeking behaviour

i am at a loss as to what to do for him, he is caged at night but not during the day, he is able to get outside (via the cat flap). he has always been fine with this, but, since i've been working full time he has gradually started showing signs of boredom and attention seeking, i regularly come home now to find he has shredded paper/card etc and urinated around the house. He never did anything like this when i was at home more and never does these things when i am home. I can't bring myself to cage him for 11 hours a day whilst i am at work and he obviously isn't happy with the situation, so for his sake i have made the decision to try and find him a loving home.

as i have already said he is a 3yr old male, tri color cavalier. although he has not been registered as a pedigree i do have a copy of his family tree (all kc registered), he has been neutered and chipped. He needs a home where he will get lots of love and attention,where he won't be on his own for long periods of time. he can be wary of strangers but i have found how to deal with this when new people come into my home (will discuss this in more depth with any interested parties). Although he is fabulous with my 5 yr old son i wouldn't trust him with other young children because of behaviour he has shown towards other children he doesn't know when we have been out and about. I know i am not painting a wonderful picture here but just want to be honest to find the most suitable home for him. he really is a lovely dog, he just needs an owner with more time to fuss him

i am in rochdale, and would be more than happy to do a slow introduction if you wanted to visit a couple of times, maybe take him for a walk and build a bond with him before you take him home

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi: I am sorry to know you are in this situation, as it is very stressful.

We don't actually include personal rehomings in the rescue section but as the post is here, I'll give a couple of suggestions that might help either way.

There are possible solutions, such as confining to a given area like a kitchen and keeping objects that should not be chewed in childproof cupboards and off the floor-- it is never a good idea generally to allow a dog at home alone the free run of an entire house anyway, as with nothing to do and no one there, they can get into many things! There are also doggie daycare options -- sometimes going a couple of times a week during the workday can make a complete change in a dog. Also, having someone a dog walker in at lunchtime to walk a dog left at home can also make all the difference (especially a generally allowing a dog out through a cat flap when no one is home is risky -- they are then very vulnerable to theft).

If none of these seem workable options and you wish to rehome, I'd really advise working with a good breed rescue. If you are in the UK, the Southern CKCS Club has a good rescue and will screen new homes and home appropriately.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

sorry to read this, sadly yes 11 hours is far too long to leave a dog, especially a breed like a Cavalier who thrive on companionship. Have be you looked into doggie day care/ dog walking (but he would need someone coming in at least twice). If that isn't going to work, then sadly I think the kindest thing might be to find him another home.

If he came from a responsible, caring breeder, you should have a puppy contract with them, where they state that the dog should be returned to them in this situation.

Otherwise, I think Rochdale would be under the Northern club for rescue, phone numbers for the other clubs can be found here http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html
    North Mrs L Gillhespy 0191 3711523.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have emailed you, it will go to the address you used to register with when you joined the forum.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org