Thread: Obsessesed With His Ball

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Obsessesed With His Ball

Hi, My Prince who will be 2 yrs in March is obsessed with his ball.... If i go out he keeps jumping up to see if its in my Pocket..... It really is starting to get on my nerves as sometimes if the weather bad I dont take it with me.... He still jumps up and I dont know whether to stop taking it on our outings or not.... Any suggestions...... When I do take him to the park he does not want to mix with other dogs just wants to run and get his ball and fetch it back to me ..... At least he is getting exercise like this but I so want him to interact with other dogs too......

Post Thanks / Like

Oliver, was the exact same way.
    it was a pain really..you could throw the ball untill your arm fell off and he'd still want to play.
    I met a cavalier named Toby recently at a dog park..who was the same. played ball untill you couldnt play any more.
    and if you stopped he (oliver) would cry..whine... he was so insistant on playing.. we'd warn people not to play with him.

After he passed , i came on here and looked at every post i ever made...and came across a story i posted...i had forgotten about..and it made me laugh out loud.

I was home alone..he was outisde...and i hear this HORRIBLE noise..he ..who dosnt bark. was crying and howling and just making the loudest noise i ever heard. i went running outside to see what was going on. he was under the stairs in the weeds and garden hose..i thought maybe hed found a rat or something?...no. his ball was stuck..he coudlnt reach it..and he was letting the entire neighbourhood know.
    after posting the story someone asked me to post a picture of oliver and his prised possesion. so i did.
    I am so thankful for that picture. Oliver..and the thing he loved most in the world.

Hes gone...and i miss playing ball like crazy.. I still have his pized ball up on a shelf. outa maggies reach. its OLIVERS ball

Maggie...dosnt play ball. she loves to chase it but will not bring it back to me.. not often anyways..

so now..paying it forward...lets see a picture of him and his treasured ball
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

What a nice memory of Oliver. Funny how an old posting brought it back fresh as day! Thanks for sharing!

As for Bosco, he won't retrieve either.

Post Thanks / Like

Prince is most likely associating your pocket with play time. When I was doing a lot of training when BellaMia was a puppy, I always had her reward treats in my pocket. Now, every time I put my hand in my pocket, she runs to me thinking it's treat time!
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Bentley loves to play fetch inside but after we moved here where there's a fenced-in backyard I tried tossing a ball or another favorite toy and he just stood there looking at me. He couldn't equate it with the fetch we play inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks all..... I suppose at least he is getting lots of exercise and he does retrieve and bring it back to me.... He drops it at my feet... and then sits back and waits for me to throw it again..... Just was worried that he not bothered about playing with other dogs..... I dont always take the ball out with me so much now... Will post a picture of him if I can.....