• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Obsessesed With His Ball

rosemary

Hi, My Prince who will be 2 yrs in March is obsessed with his ball.... If i go out he keeps jumping up to see if its in my Pocket..... It really is starting to get on my nerves as sometimes if the weather bad I dont take it with me.... He still jumps up and I dont know whether to stop taking it on our outings or not.... Any suggestions...... When I do take him to the park he does not want to mix with other dogs just wants to run and get his ball and fetch it back to me ..... At least he is getting exercise like this but I so want him to interact with other dogs too......

Oliver, was the exact same way.
it was a pain really..you could throw the ball untill your arm fell off and he'd still want to play.
I met a cavalier named Toby recently at a dog park..who was the same. played ball untill you couldnt play any more.
and if you stopped he (oliver) would cry..whine... he was so insistant on playing.. we'd warn people not to play with him.

After he passed , i came on here and looked at every post i ever made...and came across a story i posted...i had forgotten about..and it made me laugh out loud.

I was home alone..he was outisde...and i hear this HORRIBLE noise..he ..who dosnt bark. was crying and howling and just making the loudest noise i ever heard. i went running outside to see what was going on. he was under the stairs in the weeds and garden hose..i thought maybe hed found a rat or something?...no. his ball was stuck..he coudlnt reach it..and he was letting the entire neighbourhood know.
after posting the story someone asked me to post a picture of oliver and his prised possesion. so i did.
I am so thankful for that picture. Oliver..and the thing he loved most in the world.

Hes gone...and i miss playing ball like crazy.. I still have his pized ball up on a shelf. outa maggies reach. its OLIVERS ball :D

Maggie...dosnt play ball. she loves to chase it but will not bring it back to me.. not often anyways..

so now..paying it forward...lets see a picture of him and his treasured ball :D

What a nice memory of Oliver. Funny how an old posting brought it back fresh as day! Thanks for sharing!

As for Bosco, he won't retrieve either.

Prince is most likely associating your pocket with play time. When I was doing a lot of training when BellaMia was a puppy, I always had her reward treats in my pocket. Now, every time I put my hand in my pocket, she runs to me thinking it's treat time!

Bentley loves to play fetch inside but after we moved here where there's a fenced-in backyard I tried tossing a ball or another favorite toy and he just stood there looking at me. He couldn't equate it with the fetch we play inside.

Thanks all..... I suppose at least he is getting lots of exercise and he does retrieve and bring it back to me.... He drops it at my feet... and then sits back and waits for me to throw it again..... Just was worried that he not bothered about playing with other dogs..... I dont always take the ball out with me so much now... Will post a picture of him if I can.....

Maggie's not much into playing with other dogs either. She will interact with them but she's a peoples dog and prefers the attention people shower her with over other dogs.

And I rarely ever bring her ball out. She's so annoying to play ball with. She dosnt GET it. She will run after it. Then loose interest. And if by chance she dose go for it she teases me with it. Runs away from me. It's annoying. Lol

Half the time other dogs at the beach play ball with me and she won't. Lol

Luke is pretty ball obsessed, and he doesn't care about weather either. He was out with his ball in the snow that was deeper than him the other day. I took him in after a but because he was completely covered in snow. Luke doesn't play with other dogs if there is a ball available, but he will play with our other dogs at home. He was tugging with out bigger, 40lb dog the other day. He really has no interest in playing with unfamiliar dogs though, and I don't force him to. He'd play until he collapsed. He's gone for at least 30 minutes at home before playing before taking a short break, then he'll go for more.

Back