• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Should we get a male or female?

raleej337

We are planning on getting a new cav to share our small but not crampy townhouse. Currently we have a male cav and we can't make our minds on what gender to get as our next cav.
To those who have a multiple cavaliers as their masters what can you say?

I have 2 males with a 10 year age difference between them and they get on just fine, initially the older one was not impressed with a puppy pulling round his ears etc, but we just had to keep a close eye on what went on. I love my male dogs, they are so affectionate.

I love my male dogs, they are so affectionate.

I had two female Japanese Chin, and then Bosco (male) CKC joined us. Bosco is way more affectionate, possibly due to the breed rather than the sex. Regardless, he gets along great with the Chin and vice versa. I think you can't go wrong either way.

Cavaliers do tend to get along well in same sex pairs (or more) compared to many breeds, but even so, I think very definitely the best option is a female, and I think any trainer (or good breeder) you talk to will likely suggest the same. :) . Dogs of opposite sex do not tend to fight -- dogs of same sex are more likely to. Females tend to be more prone to fighting amongst themselves than males (contrary to popular belief!) -- but adding in another male means a reconfiguration of positions as he reaches maturity and longer term. There's a greater likelihood of fights and problems. A female will generally be welcomed more enthusiastically and would give you a nice balance. Adding a male will destabilise your pair probably more than once as he grows over time and the older dogs lose authority -- adding a female will almost certainly not. It's just lower risk overall of things not working out (requiring you to rehome a dog).

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I think we'll go for a female, to experience having a female pet. I personally always choose a male pet for no apparent reasons. But if we can not find a female then a male will do, as long as it is a blenheim.

Back