• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sweet picture and anyone have puppy nipping advice?

mariagrady

1780785_10203102340259645_1735706782_n.jpg
Here is a a picture of my little harley. He is so sweet, when he has toys or treats he and I am laying next to him he HAS to crawl on top of me with whatever he has and eat/play with it on my chest. It is so cute. I know he is a puppy and nips but He seems to LOVE pulling my hair and sometimes will nip at my face and hands. I know he is trying to be playful but he can't do it and when I say NO firmly and point and tap his nose or sometimes i make a tssst noise like I heard the dog whisperer do he only thinks its a game. I distract him with another toy and this usually works but not always. Any advice!? He will be starting pupppy kindergarten on the 22nd so this may help! He was born on November 27th, so he is still just a young puppy!

Showing your displeasure through your reaction or a command (we use "No bite!" or "Leave it!", depending on what we want him to do) should eventually work. Just be sure to be consistent in terms of when you apply it so he's clear on what you are trying to communicate.

Suggestion: If he is nipping you while sitting on your lap, I would remove him from your lap, put him on the floor, give a quick "no!", and not look at him for a bit. Puppies dislike being ignored. He will get the message quickly.

Joan

A loud OW!, putting him down and ignoring him for several minutes is a good approach. Good trainers these days generally would not advise slapping or punishing a dog through any kind of physical 'correction'.

In the Training section I've pinned links to some great trainers and all have excellent step by step advice on managing nipping puppies.

I'd also highly recommend registering for free on www.dogstardaily.com where you can then get a free download of Ian Dunbar's After You Get Your Puppy and all his handouts, which are extremely useful and also cover this and everything imaginable about puppy training and behaviour. :) The book's in the Free Downloads section, and more advice here:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/taxonomy/term/57

We went through the exact same problem with Abby at that age. We used the same methods as the other responders have given. We would say ouch and turn our backs for a several seconds. We found these two things seemed to help the most. Abby is now almost 10 months old and she no longer nips in the sharp manner that she did when she was younger. I do get carried away with her at times when playing and she will give my hand a soft type chew, but she knows enough not to bite hard.

Cute pic of Harley....Snowing here today and Abby is curled up in our bay window in a small bed. She loves that window....gives a whole new meaning to "neighborhood watch". :)

He is adorable :)

same as the others, we would say ow in a high pitched tone kind of like a yelp. And then ignore him.
He caught on very very fast!

Edit for iPad autocorrect mistakes haha

I pretty quickly developed a good "kiss kiss" and bad "ah" sounds for Fletcher. The good sound got him praise and even a treat, the bad sound would lead to me moving away from him no more play or attention. Since I have a 4 yr old in the house at the time teaching him soft mouth. Set some guidelines and stick to them he will fugure it out quickly, cavalier are super smart and WANT good attention. This is also normal puppy behavior but with training you can get to the pass quicker.

My pup (now 5 months old) was terrrrible with biting when she was younger (and we still have to remind her often with a "no biting" command). The ONLY thing that worked for her was to yelp in her face, and then walk away.

Back