• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier age

Christin1994

Morning all, I have a weird question, can a reputable breeder list wrong the date that the puppy/puppies were born on? Thanks.:D

Sent form my Samsung Doubletime using Tapatalk

In my opinion, if a breeder can not list the correct date of when the puppies were born, the breeder does not appear to be reputable. If it happens to be a typo, after it is brought to their attention it should be corrected and if not...not a reputable breeder.

I do know that on some occasions UK breeders will adjust the date of birth. This is done if the breeder is keeping a puppy to show and the litter was born too late to qualify for entry to a favourite show or under a favourite judge. Registering the puppies as a week or so older than they really are can sort that problem.

Registering puppies to favour a show schedule is something that never occurred to me.
When I used to show my dogs, not Cavs, one puppy I showed against looked very mature compared to the others so maybe .......... One never knows.

One other question, can you do bone age testing to find the age of a dog(or any animal), that is, if you don't know or it was miscalculated? Thanks.

Not that I know. Never heard of it. You can get a good guess by what teeth are coming through, in a younger dog.

I think Margaret was not approving of changing the dates for show registrations, but noting this rather drily... :lol:

Without DNA identification buyers actually have no way to prove that a dog was from a given set of parents or a given litter. It can be impossible to be sure of the date the pups were actually born, if a breeder wants to lie. One of my cavaliers (from US breeder Laura lang) was DNA identified on her papers, which Laura does routinely. Also, my pyrenean's breeder DNA ID's all the litter something I think hardly any Irish breeders of any breed, do.

There are stories of puppies being sold as from a given parent when they are not, as well.

It's good practice to get to know your breeder and to know their reputation, see paperwork etc. :D

Back