• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier puppy before college

Christin1994

Evening everyone, just wanted to ask a quick question. I just wanted to know if you all think its smart to get a puppy before I go off to college this fall, (I'm calling the breeder tomorrow) thak you for yor help .

Sent form my Samsung Doubletime using Tapatalk

This is just my opinion but Cavaliers, or any puppy for that matter, requires a lot of attention. Between the training to potty outside and learning the way of humans and what is acceptable and what is not takes time and repetition. Cavaliers are people dogs and like to be with their human and do not do well being alone for long periods of time. If your puppy will be living with your parents or with friends who are able to take care and help train, then that may work better, but also remember it may end up bonding with them instead of you. I would reconsider if you are not going to be able to give it the time and attention that would make a happy and well adjusted puppy. You need to think about the well being of the puppy and not just yourself when it comes to making such a big decision.

Evening everyone, just wanted to ask a quick question. I just wanted to know if you all think its smart to get a puppy before I go off to college this fall, (I'm calling the breeder tomorrow) thak you for yor help .

Honestly, not if the pup is going to be yours (vs. your parents', sibling's, etc.), and only if you'll be allowed to bring him/her along with you (assuming you are moving to stay on-campus or near it). Otherwise you'll not be able to spend much time with him/her, I'd imagine. On the other side of the coin, college life is full of other adventures/experiences that you'll not want to be missing out on because you have to rush back to your dorm to train/babysit your dog. Not saying it can't be done, just that it's probably a tough balancing act.

I called the breeder before school. I'm gonna wait till I graduate college to get a cavvie. To be honest, I'm so sad, but you all are right, I should think of the puppy first (and my future).

I called the breeder before school. I'm gonna wait till I graduate college to get a cavvie. To be honest, I'm so sad, but you all are right, I should think of the puppy first (and my future).

Trust me waiting and having the time to really enjoy a cavalier will reward you 100000000 fold. I worked full time when Fletcher was a puppy but I had the option of taking him with me. Then I was home for a whole year, and not I work a split shift so I have plenty of time for him (and all the other million things in my life).

Back