• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What Size Kennel?

CharlieTriBoy

Hi,

My dog Charlie sleeps in his wire kennel at night and will take a nap in it during the day. He weighs about 24 lbs and is 11 months old. His kennel is 18 inches wide and 24 inches long. He seems fine in it when he is sleeping, and I am home during the day with him, but if I have to leave, I will just put up a gate in the kitchen, put a blanket on the floor, and leave the door to his kennel open so he can go in there if he wants. He’s usually laying in his kennel when I get home. I looked up the size of kennels online and it showed for a Cavalier King Charles that they need a kennel that is 30 inches in length and 20 inches wide. Now I am wondering if I need to get a little bigger size for Charlie. He seems fine in his kennel when he is sleeping in it, do I really need two more inches wider and 6 inches longer for him? Does it really make that much difference? I am pretty sure he is at the size he is going to be, right?

Thanks!

Shelley
Charlie’s Mom

I always thought the kennel should be big enough for the dog to stand up and be able to turn around comfortably. Since cavs wieght and size can be dramatically different, I would use this rule of thumb rather that a website approach.

I have 2 kennels for BellaMia. The smaller one is 31Lx19Wx21H. She is 16 lbs and has plenty of room. She uses this one when we go out for a few hours or sometimes for a nap during the day. I do have a larger one in the bedroom for bedtime since she stays in that one for 8 or more hours.

We have a 20 x 30 for Abby. She is 22 pounds and 11 months old as well. Does he seem to struggle when he turns around in his kennel? I have always heard the same thing joandesan said about being able to turn and stand comfortably is the rule to go by.

Thanks for the great replies.

Charlie does not have any trouble turning around or sitting up in his kennel and does seem perfectly happy in it. Thanks for the great advice because I do have two kennels for him the same size, one in the kitchen and one in our bedroom for at night. (I was just thinking because he was getting bigger if that meant I needed to get a bigger kennel:confused:)

Thanks again.

I would save my $$ for other things (like toys and treats!). It sounds like your present crates are more than fine.

Joan

Back