Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Not Sure If I Should Change My Vet

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Not Sure If I Should Change My Vet

    I have a real problem here, which I hope I can get plenty of opinions about, because I just don't know what to do.

    You may remember the thread I started about how to use Tramadol. I mentioned there that I was unhappy with the vet and hoped that somebody could give me some advice about the correct use of Tramadol, because I have lost all confidence in the vet Rebel has been seeing.

    When Rebel first developed symptoms of SM he was howling and in a terrible state. I got an emergency appointment with the vet and Rebel was lucky to be seen by his usual vet, who he is very attached to. She told me she hadn't any experience or knowledge of SM, so I went through a copy of CR's matrix with her and promised to send in some literature on the defect, i's symptoms and more about the variious treatments. That was fine she said and started him conservatively on a low dose of Frusemide, which really helped for some months. I kept up the supply of information, which te lady said was most helpful. Eventually he progressed to 100 mgs Gabapentin a day, then twice daily and now up to 500 mgs a day if needed. Tramado was also to be given in a low dose, but only if really needed. All that was fine and I felt lucky to have the benefit of such a caring vet, who was also so willing to learn.

    Everything was ticking over so well until the recent bad weather conditions, where air pressures rose and fell in rapid procession. Rebel was due for his 3 monthly check at the vet and was in quite good form when we set off, but there was another sudden dip in air pressure with wind and rain worsening with every minute, so by the time we had waited for the vet to finish her surgery list and see Rebel, he was screaming with pain and very bitter about life in general, so much so that he growled at the vet when she got out her stethoscope to check his heart.

    She stepped back, very shocked. She told me she had never seen him like that before and asked if I realised that SM is a progressive disease and did I realise there was no going back and that things would only get worse for Rebel and never better. She wanted to euthenase him then and there, telling me she only wanted what was best for him and that if I was a caring owner I would end his suffering now. It goes without saying how shocked I was, both about her obvious ignorance also Rebel's reaction to the drop in air pressure, because if she had read the information I had taken the trouble to give her, she would have known that I was talking sense and that she was over reacting. I found myself saying, no, no, no and lots about this only being a blip which I should have been able to avoid and eventually I got through to her that Rebel deserved further treatment.

    She agreed to give Rebel a week to improve, but said her expertise and experience of Rebel told her it would not. Of course he was back to his old wagging, kissy self the following week and I started to breathe huge sighs of relief. This was short lived, because I had brought in a print of Clare's latest treatment matrix. I wondered if there was now an improved cocktail of drugs which would increase Rebel's quality of life, but instead of considering that the lady decided to question me on my reasons for giving up to 500 mgs of Gabapentin, then the odd day or two that I had told her I had had to increase the Tramadol, which is pretty low dose anyway. I was shocked when she said I should space the drugs out over a 24 hour period, never starting him off on 20 mgs in the morning, 'just because the air pressure might drop, which might affect some dogs'. She then told me 200 mgs daily should be quite enough for a dog of his age and weight!!!!!!!!!!!! I made as rapid an exit as I could, agreeing to bring Rebel in for monthly check ups instead of quarterly, which means that he is due there again on 1st April.

    As you can imagine I am not happy dealing with this vet any more if it means a constant battle to get Rebel the treatment he needs to give him a relatively pain free life. Apart from arthritis and a low grade heart murmour, he is a very active and lively dog for his age. My first reaction would be to find another vet, either at the same practice or to go elsewhere, but I dont know what it would do to Rebel to make the change. He absolutely adores this lady, smothering him with kisses and expecting and receiving cuddles in return. A couple of times we have been asked to see another vet while the lady has been operating, but Rebel will start howling and barking if he is taken into anyone else, growling and drawing away when they try to touch him. He will also make an awful fuss if he senses that the vet is there but not seeing him, to the extent that it is a standing arrangement that he will have the first appointment in the afternoon, to avoid upsetting Mr Rebel.

    So what would you do if you were me?

    Have you had similar experience and solved the problem one way or another? If so, how?

    Should I start all over again with the information sheets, selecting, downloading and printing them up for her to read again, because after recent experience I doubt that she bothered with any of it in the first place. Could it be that the lady has realised she is wrong and might want to start over again?

    Please tell me what you think. Something that somebody else has to say is likely to solve the problem and of course you all know the old saying about two heads being better than one.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    1,688
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow what a reaction she had......surely as a vet she's been growled at before.....Im no expert on SM but even I know a dogs pain can change from day to day with air pressure and a change of medication!
    My only advice would be that you have to trust your vet....she's got got Rebels comfort in her hands and if you cant trust her to do that maybe you should look for one that you know can.
    It very hard especially if you've been with them for a long time. Is there another vet in the practice you could see?
    Im sure she didn't want to see Rebel suffer and in her opinion Euthanasia was the only option but it sounds like a knee jerk reaction to me.

    Good luck what ever you decide.
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sion, Switzerland
    Posts
    871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I have one vet who I absolutely trust, and who I know listens to me. Unfortunately, they are not on the same continent with me and Guinness, so we don't use them anymore.

    If you are unhappy with your vet, go elsewhere. I wouldn't hesitate to switch. Perhaps look for one more experienced with SM, and more willing to listen. You see your dog far more than any vet will, and your observations on how things are day to day are very important, if your vet doesn't recognize this I would question their judgement.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree with the others. You are the spokesman for Rebel and your concerns should not be dismissed so easily. I would telephone her before your next appointment and have a heart to heart conversation about how you are feeling. If you still feel she is ignoring your concerns, then it may be time to find someone else.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

    BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've had concerns almost from Day One with Bentley but our vet nicely dismissed them so I pushed it out of my mind. This all came to a head about a month ago when Bentley started having the "frozen in place" and crying spells. I took him to the vet and he prescribed an anti-inflammatory. A couple days later their office called to inquire about him - something they had never done. A week later he was having more trouble, I took him back, and the day after I took him the vet himself called, this time telling me that he was arfaid I had been correct in my suspicions all along. He then referred me to the university for the MRI. Last time I had him to the vet he shook his head and said, "Such a sweet, nice dog; I'm so sorry he has this condition..."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Southern Mediterranean
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A difficult one. I had serious issues with my vet (who happens to be the only one on the island where I live) concerning his views on boostering of vaccinations. I found I was getting really stressed out about the problem, particularly as one of my cavaliers Dillon adores said vet.....I found that when in the surgery with all its noise and goings on, I simply could not engage my brain in the way I wanted to. So I went home and emailed my vet about the issues which troubled me. As it happened, I got a good outcome; my point in telling about this is, yes, I think you should outline again your concerns, but put it in writing, thereby making it arguably more 'serious' and steer clear of the telephone. You should expect a response - if you aren't happy, then move vets. That way you have tried all that is possible. I wish you and Rebel lots of best wishes. Katerina
    Dillon tri boy and Lucy Goose our ruby girl & Katerina, that's me!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    What you say is so right Mel and thank you for saying it. I feel the same way, but after a lot of thought, I really want to keep Rebel happy for the time he has left, so I am trying again with a written presentation and will see what happens. If that doesn't work I will have to find another vet.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    1,896
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Also having an old dog with multiple problems (though less severe SM than Rebel), my attitude is like yours (and hospices), Flo - the no. 1 priority is to keep them pain free and comfortable and worries about possible addiction to morphine (in humans) or liver damage really don't apply.

    I was surprised by what you said about the Willows. I haven't had to use them for Oliver's SM, but as he hasn't been near Chestergates since his last mini scan 5 years ago, I wouldn't dream of dragging him up there on trains and buses; our local vets have done their homework on SM and keep him pretty stable anyway. If the Willows refused to treat him for SM I think I would kick up a real fuss with them!

    Best of luck with the literary composition!

    Kate, Oliver and Aled

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi Flo, this must have been devastating when your vet suggested euthanasia, any of us who have a dog with CM/SM issues know that the condition can fluctuate from day to day and our main aim is to keep them pain free. Kookie isn't 2 years old yet and he is normally on 500mg Gabapentin daily and increased to 600mg when there are sudden changes in air pressure also increasing his usual dose of tramadol (3x25mg) if necessary. We recently took part in the comfort study research (Clare Rusbridge) so it will be a good thing for all us owners when the results are published so we don't have to justify the need for increased meds with our vets. I can understand where you are coming from that Rebel has got used to this particular vet and any change might upset him. Hope the next visit goes well and they take on board that you know Rebel better than anyone.
    Catherine & Kookie

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry Rebel is going through do much. Our Charlie has been on Gabapentin three times a day since we rescued him two years ago and, fortunately his symptoms have remained steady. He does a lot of scratching and walks funny sometimes but doesn't have these worse symptoms. You're probably aware that there is surgery available. I don't know how expensive it might be. Could there be more than AM going on?

    Best of luck.
    Tom

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •