Thread: Housebroken at four months

Post Thanks / Like

Default Housebroken at four months

Morning all! Just wanted to ask if it's possible for a cavalier puppy to be completely(or close) housebroken at 4 months. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I got BellaMia at 12 weeks old.....and she potty trained in 4 weeks and has had no accidents since. So to answer your question, yes, it is possible to potty train at 4 months. HOWEVER, she wasn't given free run of the house right away, plus I am home and always able to reinforce her training, and when I'm out, she is in her kennel. She got free run of the house in small increments over the year and we haven't had any accidents.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pretty unlikely!!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

It took Bosco about 1 year to be 100% reliably potty trained. My Japanese Chin were good from 6 months on.

I think it takes small dogs a bit longer to be reliably potty trained - and 4 months is pretty unlikely. I wouldn't tie it to a timeline anyway -- puts pressure on you and the dog.
    It all works out in the end, but lots of time, patience and forgiveness is required!

Joan

5. Likes CSutherland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Bentley would never be reliably potty trained. He'd go for weeks & weeks then poop on the tile in the entryway and sometimes on carpet. We moved Jan 2013 and he only did it inside half a dozen times the first few weeks. He's been perfect for almost a year, even lately while on Prednisone that makes him eat, drink & pee constantly. He can hold it forever if necessary. But, good grief, he certainly should be trained by now--he's 3 1/2!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My two 6 month old boys are just about housetrained. If the door to the garden is open they will take themselves out but if shut they need reminding that they can take themselves through the dog flap.

It is more difficult to housetrain two puppies of the same age but it has been worth it. They are so happy playing together.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

I think this certainly is an outlier, but my 9 month old cavalier has only had 3 accidents in the house since we got him at 12 weeks. My family is very diligent about letting him out, particularly since we have a baby (soon to be toddler!) in the house. However, maybe it would be more accurate to say that he has us trained to let him out every couple of hours! I agree with the above that you really can't trust them to be reliably 100% house trained by 4 months. A lot of it is about preventing the accident at that age. My previous cavalier had occasional accidents up until a year, which I feel was particularly related to us sometimes missing when he went to the door to go out.
    Mommy to Butters (06/18/2011-4/20/2013) and Sawyer (6/08/2013)
    http://lsidari.blogspot.com