• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Housebroken at four months

Christin1994

Morning all! Just wanted to ask if it's possible for a cavalier puppy to be completely(or close) housebroken at 4 months. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got BellaMia at 12 weeks old.....and she potty trained in 4 weeks and has had no accidents since. So to answer your question, yes, it is possible to potty train at 4 months. HOWEVER, she wasn't given free run of the house right away, plus I am home and always able to reinforce her training, and when I'm out, she is in her kennel. She got free run of the house in small increments over the year and we haven't had any accidents.

It took Bosco about 1 year to be 100% reliably potty trained. My Japanese Chin were good from 6 months on.

I think it takes small dogs a bit longer to be reliably potty trained - and 4 months is pretty unlikely. I wouldn't tie it to a timeline anyway -- puts pressure on you and the dog.
It all works out in the end, but lots of time, patience and forgiveness is required!

Joan

I thought Bentley would never be reliably potty trained. He'd go for weeks & weeks then poop on the tile in the entryway and sometimes on carpet. We moved Jan 2013 and he only did it inside half a dozen times the first few weeks. He's been perfect for almost a year, even lately while on Prednisone that makes him eat, drink & pee constantly. He can hold it forever if necessary. But, good grief, he certainly should be trained by now--he's 3 1/2!

My two 6 month old boys are just about housetrained. If the door to the garden is open they will take themselves out but if shut they need reminding that they can take themselves through the dog flap.

It is more difficult to housetrain two puppies of the same age but it has been worth it. They are so happy playing together.

I think this certainly is an outlier, but my 9 month old cavalier has only had 3 accidents in the house since we got him at 12 weeks. My family is very diligent about letting him out, particularly since we have a baby (soon to be toddler!) in the house. However, maybe it would be more accurate to say that he has us trained to let him out every couple of hours! I agree with the above that you really can't trust them to be reliably 100% house trained by 4 months. A lot of it is about preventing the accident at that age. My previous cavalier had occasional accidents up until a year, which I feel was particularly related to us sometimes missing when he went to the door to go out.

Back