• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

She won't walk--any suggestions?

jackdav1973

I frequently pet sit for a friend with two cavs, about 7; one is a little bigger than the other. When we go for a walk, one is perfectly cooperative, while the other flops on her belly and just won't walk. I walked them again several times; nothing changed. After about 20 minutes, I ended up carrying her home. (No better idea came to mind).

The one who won't walk is the smaller one. Any suggestions? She shows plenty of movement and enthusiasm in the house or in the yard. Only the walks stop her energy.

Thanks,
Jack.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, that sounds like a tough one. Have you been trying to walk them individually or together? I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not, but if they are used to being walked a certain way, as in "individually" or "together", and you are not doing it the same way, maybe that is the problem. Or maybe she is just being stubborn and only will walk a certain route?

Is this something that happens when their owner takes them out?

The first thing that springs to mind is she is scared or she is in pain when walking.

Are you walking them in an area that is not their normal route? I know Bosco sometimes refuses to move when we go to a new park or if the park is extra crowded. I think its the new smells, maybe a bit more crowded than he is used to. When I get him home, he is perfectly fine. Makes me a bit crazy sometimes!

One more thought -- my Japanese Chin will refuse to walk outside sometimes with anyone but me. Maybe she feels that she doesnt' want to leave the house in case the owner comes home? My dog sitter would carry her up the street, and then she would bee-line home. I guess I have nutty dogs!

Joan

One more thought -- my Japanese Chin will refuse to walk outside sometimes with anyone but me. Maybe she feels that she doesnt' want to leave the house in case the owner comes home? My dog sitter would carry her up the street, and then she would bee-line home. I guess I have nutty dogs!

Joan

Thank you. That's funny-- I got about the same distance, as your sitter, up the street and then she stopped walking.

My Bosco sometimes does something similar. He won't go for a walk with anyone else if he knows I'm in the house - don't know what we'll do if I get sick. Often he will put the brakes on when we're out and will refuse to walk until I turn for home. Funnily he's ok if I have a foster staying - then he'll walk fine. I think it's psychological 😱

Pet sitting again on Thursday for about a week, I'll see if there's any change in Annie's (the little one who flops) walking habits. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Back