Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Constant Diarrhea!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Constant Diarrhea!

Sweet Winnie has had recurring diarrhea pretty much every month we've had her (since December). She's been on Metronidazle three times now to stop it, but then it always comes back. I've taken in a stool sample (nothing found), and most recently we did a blood test (nothing found). I guess the next step is to change her diet before we move on with more testing. She seems to be fine other than that. She eats everything in the yard (including her own stool) so I thought maybe it was something she was eating outside, but wouldn't they have found that in the stool sample or blood test? We got her at 10 months from the breeder who was feeding her Royal Canin Mini Puppy, so we continued that and then switched over to Royal Canin Mini Adult. Does anyone have any advice on a good dry food for sensitive tummies?

Any other thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Royal Canin has a dry food for sensitive stomachs. You can also try giving her a teaspoon of pure pumpkin. That should help firm up her stools. She may be allergic to an ingredient in her food......there are lots of grain free foods out there too.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

3. Thanks Winnie Pig thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Winnie on any heartworm preventative? Since you mentioned it reoccurs every month I am assuming it comes and then goes. I know that some dogs can be sensitive to certain heartworm medicines. Hope you find the source, poor Winnie.
    Sir Remington II (Remy) Oct. 17, 2012 -

5. Thanks Winnie Pig thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a food allergy or at least intolerence. I have had a lot of success with plain canned pumpkin added to Fletcher's food when he has had bouts of runny poop. I feed Wellness brand, they do have a line of limited ingretient foods it might help you identify the source of Winnie's issue. Remember to switch foods slowly.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

7. Thanks Winnie Pig thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

She is on Trifexis for Heartworm prevention. If I don't give it with food, she will throw it up, but seems to be fine if I give with food. I haven't paid attention to see when it starts each month in relation to the heart worm medication, but I will now. I'm going to get her the sensitive tummy food today and see if that makes a difference, too. Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I would also consider giving a probiotic supplement with their food. It works great for mine. I'm in the States and some brands I love are Nature's Farmacy Digestive Enhancer, Wholistic Pet Digest All Plus.
    Mom to:
    Stella Agnes (Blenheim, RIP - 2001-2013), Hazel Louise (Black & Tan), Laverne Marie (Ruby), Rupert William (Blenheim),
    Lucy Mae, Desi Ray (RIP - 2003-2011), Princess Di, Smokey Jo (RIP - 1990-2012)

10. Likes waldor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I have baby with sensitive tum on Royal Canon but she has multiple allergies. I have found Pro Kolin sometimes settles it and firms her up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This can be a really frustrating problem. Some cavaliers seem to be prone to digestive problems and they certainly can be more likely in dogs (or cats) under a year old; often it improves or goes away entirely as they mature.

Have you ever tried an alternative dry to RC? I have cats that get the runs on some RC cat foods.

I'm not a big fan of feeding only dry food and feel there's pretty good evidence that a dry-only diet limits the development of a good range of stomach bacteria, which helps manage digestion.

I'd consider trying her on a premade, commercial raw diet just to see if it makes a difference after a few days or weeks. I know of a lot of dogs where it has, and completely turned around one of my elderly cats who had suffered most of her life with poor stools and had over time become quite listless and thin. I switched her to raw and within 24 hours she had the first truly solid, normal stool she had had in years. My vets had thought she was probably beyond help.

At the very least I'd get her off the Royal Canin and look for a diet that has ingredients that do not tend to cause problems (for sensitive stomachs) -- an unusual protein source like duck, fish, or turkey or venison, not chicken or beef. No grains, no soy, no colouring, no artificial additives. RC is an OK food but all their foods have so-so protein sources and some ingredients that can cause reactions (eg corn). Or try half a new dry, and half raw.

If this doesn't help you may be looking at trying food elimination diets under vet guidance to see if she has an intolerance or allergy. An intolerance is more likely with diarrhoea, I would think.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

13. Likes Nicki liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did your vet check for giardia? Bosco had it as a pup, and it took months to go away. The diarrhea was almost constant -- would get better, then worse. Took a couple of rounds of antibiotics to clear up as well. I remember the vet telling me not to let him poop in our yard and to be careful about eating poop during this time. Something about it being cyclical.

Post Thanks / Like

She eats everything in the yard (including her own stool) so I thought maybe it was something she was eating outside, but wouldn't they have found that in the stool sample or blood test?
    Not necessarily. Whatever she is eating could be irritating the lining of her intestines or stomach. Our Sophie had Giardia that took forever to clear up. As a puppy, bully sticks were too rich for her. After she chewed down three inches, I would have to distract her with a toy and take it away for the day.

Her Nylabone chew toy also caused some horrendous diarrhea. She was such a strong chewer that she must have ingested small bits of that nylon. Once I tossed that, we had no more diarrhea again.

We don't have a fenced in yard, but she managed to eat all sorts of mulch (her favorite!) along the curb, and other wonderful goodies, when we walked around the neighborhood with Sophie on a leash. She is a ground hoover, although she does ~much~ better now that she is an adult. (but not perfect )