Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Constant Diarrhea!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=waldor;435387 She is a ground hoover, although she does ~much~ better now that she is an adult. (but not perfect )[/QUOTE]

LOL! Yes --- so is Bosco. I try to keep treats in my pockets for rewards as I say , "Drop it" or "Leave it" quite often. Mulch remains a favorite, but he also manages to find other equally bothersome stuff to chew on. One would think I didnt feed him.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure everyone is aware and are careful, but please remember that some mulches can be poisonous to dogs. Just an fyi....
    Mom to:
    Stella Agnes (Blenheim, RIP - 2001-2013), Hazel Louise (Black & Tan), Laverne Marie (Ruby), Rupert William (Blenheim),
    Lucy Mae, Desi Ray (RIP - 2003-2011), Princess Di, Smokey Jo (RIP - 1990-2012)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - I just looked up my post again and see all of the fantastic suggestions! Thank you everyone. UPDATE: I switched her over to Nutro Naturals Ultra which is lamb, peas and potatoes only. No grains and gluten free. That was like magic. Her stools were the best I've ever seen them. So we went about three months with normal stools before it started again. The Metronidazle didn't seem to help much this time. A little, but didn't totally clear it up and I don't want to keep her on it every single month. I'm going to try getting rid of our Nylabones and see if that makes a difference. She gets Blue Bones as treats, but those have no chicken or anything in them so I thought they were ok. Maybe they are too rich for her. I'm also going to try a probiotic - great idea. Thank you all - love having this community as a resource!

Post Thanks / Like

One of my dogs had this trouble and multiple allergies now feed Royal Cabin Sensitivity control (no grains) and freeze it in single portions. Protein pro kolin is quite good as is their pro fibre to bulk up.No quick fix just trial and error but persevere.

Post Thanks / Like

I would remove the Blue Bones * and* the NylaBones from her diet, before making any other changes.

6. Thanks Winnie Pig thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd agree to remove any edible treats -- the problem may well be something in the treats. Dogs don't actually need treats of course -- though they love them -- and in any kind of elimination diet treats should go.

Many people find switching to a raw diet resolves the problem.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

8. Thanks Winnie Pig thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I've had her on a probiotic for about 5-6 days now and her stool was as runny as it's ever been this morning. Every once in a while (last night) it was pretty solid, so I get my hopes up. Does anyone know about how long those take to start working? I'll give it a bit more and then try the raw diet as Karlin suggested. Thanks again everyone. I'll keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Winnie allowed to roam the yard by herself, or is she taken outdoors only on a leash? If she's not on a leash, she still might be eating something on the ground that is irritating her intestines.

Has her stool been cultured by the veterinarian?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waldor View Post
    Is Winnie allowed to roam the yard by herself, or is she taken outdoors only on a leash? If she's not on a leash, she still might be eating something on the ground that is irritating her intestines.
    That's a great question. I would only walk Winnie on a leash, until you get to the bottom of this. Bosco has a super sensitive tummy, and we went through some strange bouts of diarrhea in his first year. Since then, we do not feed him dog treats period. His food is consistent (Blue Buffalo Small Breed dry with a little wet mixed in), with some flax seeds thrown in from time to time. If he is not watched he will eat the poop of Sadie and Boop (my chins), and that is guaranteed to cause loose stools.

I hope you figure out what is going on.

Post Thanks / Like

My little guy started having loose stool at about 4 months. We tried everything and the only thing that seemed to help was pumpkin, but as soon as I stopped the pumpkin the loose stool came back.

After treatment for giardia (which the test was always negative, but treated him anyway) and a bland diet, he still was having loose stool. Finally after 9 months and four types of food, we figured out it was chicken and possibly over feeding. Switched to Merrick Grain Free Beef and lowered his daily amount. After about 2 weeks, magic! Solid stool.

We only have issues now if we give anything with chicken, so we have to be diligent about reading the ingredients.

It took roughly a year of trying everything under the sun, but we finally had success. Good luck!