• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

snorting

Super Princess

this is very rare...

but if maggie gets over excited..mostly when we go somewhere really exciting.
im not talking the beach...which she loves..
but im talking (occasionally the pet store) today it was garage saleing

we got outa the car and she was so flipping excited she couldnt walk fast enough..she started to snort uncontrollably.

what is with that?
im gonna google it now..and probably CT will come up... but dose anyoneelse have any experiance like that?
i try to get down and you know..calm her down but shes uncontrollable for a little while.
not sure if its her pulling on her coller because she cant get there fast enough..or what.

it did eventually calm down once we left our first sale...but holy moly..

https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100920090726AANdt4A

ahhahahh was REALLY laughing out loud to this response.
" have known MANY dogs that do this, and I think it's funny but I'm sure you think it's embarrassing as some sort of reflection toward you. Especially if your Mom says "How the heck do you think that you can you pick the right wife/husband when you picked a d*mn dog that snorts like a pig!" Anyway, I don't know the anatomical reason, maybe it has narrow nose you said that she's not big, but is she heavy for her size? If so that would be the extra weight pressing down on the esophagus making it more narrow. Also allergies could be the reason. I know this cat, I would say it's mine but it's my sisters and she starts making a weird snorting/coughing/clearing of the throat noise just because, it's weird and the most psycho cat I have ever known. But anyway just accept your dog for what she is, a dog that wants to be a pig :)"

Try Googling reverse sneeze. Very common in Cavaliers. Sounds really bad. Also, You Tube has videos of dogs doing this....see if Maggie sounds the same.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=2335

yes i was just going to come to repsond i think it might be reverse sneezing..
it sounds horrible.. but from what i read it dosnt require treatment.

its only happened a few times with maggie..but enough to make you stop and go what the HECK is going on? was down on the ground trying to calm her down..very embarrasing (but scarry too..)it didnt seem to bother her either time she just wanted to keep going.

It's reverse sneezing –. Quite common in cavs. If you push down gently on her nose it will open up the airways at the back of her throat and she should stop. Bosco does this sometimes too

Well.....I don't know what to make of this. The original post sounded exactly like Bentley had been ever since we got him at ten weeks. A couple of months ago he was diagnosed with CM & slight SM as well as "glue ear." He has been on gabapentin ever since and has not snorted a single time since. It always occurred when the doorbell rang, while on a walk and we met another dog along the way, when his Bischon friend, Elvis, would come over, when the hubby would suggest, "Wanna go someplace?" It has completely stopped with the gabapentin.

Interesting, wonder if the gabapentin just keeps airways more relaxed?

Overall it is a shame that cavaliers have the 'snort' at all, as it is a sign of some level of breathing difficulty, even in the benign cases (and most are pretty mild). It only occurs because the face is so short on the breed, which creates problems internally. :( I've never seen a dog that looks comfortable or relaxed when they go into the snort. It's clearly not something they enjoy.

She snores too.. Think the two are tied in?

Talked witho our breeder lastnight her dogs do it as well. she gave me similar instructions of what to do when it happens.

I dont think its a comfortable thing whenit happens, but yesterday when maggie was doing it..it was like she was ignoring what was happening and just wanted to go greet all the people. She was more interested in that then what was going on with her breathing.

poor dogs :(

Bosco does not short, but my Japanese Chin snorts quite often and it is not pleasant . It's very common in chins due to the short face. I had not heard of gabapentin, but will ask vet on next visit. Thanks for the tip.

Our Charlie is on Gabapentin for SM and snorts regularly when he gets excited. I rub the back of his neck and his back to settle him down and he stops at least temporally.

Both Lady and Gracie have reverse sneeze episodes sometimes! I find gently rubbing down their throat/neck helps to settle them down.

Back