• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feeding x a day?

Super Princess

I've always fed maggie 2 times a day. once in morning...once in evening.

Right now we are on a cup a day... half in morning half in evening

HOWEVER ...lately she will only eat one meal a day...usually the evening meal..and just bypass the morning meal.
so shes really eating half a cup a day...lately.

she IS slightly over weight..we have just started our big long walks again..
and my breeder recomended lowering her food to half a cup a day.

now opinions.

since she is taking it upon herself ot only really eat a meal later in the day...
should i continue dividing her food into 2 x a day or just feeding the half a cup in one meal in the afternoon/evening?

I would just feed her once a day at night 1/2 cup. I know every cavalier is different just like us people but Fletcher would be looking at me like I have LOST my mind if I fed him only a half cup a day ;) Can you weigh Maggie at home? You know its important to keep her a healthy weight, so just work on it. Summer should help, its been a long cold winter we all tend to gain a few extra pounds.

I would rather weigh her at home. I don't like this vet tech. So judgemental. I don't own a scale though. So I'd have to buy one.

Yeah it's been beautiful weather. A bit hot yesterday and today at 27. Eek. But we'll see. Maybe we'll go later tonight.
It's nice when it cools down:)
We've been doing our 5.5 km walk again. Should be down in no time if we keep it up.

If I fed any of my four one cup of food a day they would look like stuffed sausages!!! They're lucky if they get 1/2 cup/day! Every cavalier is different, but that's as much as they can eat without gaining weight. They're all small cavaliers (12-14 pounds) with the exception of Oliver, who used to be in the mid 20 pound range, but in his old age (he's 13) he's lost some weight and now hovers around 20 pounds. But even he only gets 1/2 cup/day. He's got really bad hips and I want to keep him slim and trim, no excess weight for those hips.

Maggies a larger cavalier. She is currently 21 pounds and the vet said she should be 19.
Shes never been a HUGE eater..but a picky one when she was little... ive heard it from many other cav owners worried about hteir puppies too...we would hand feed to get them to eat...i think where maggie and i ran into a problem was when i started adding wet food ontop of her food to encourage her to eat.. just fed her too much. we don't do this anymore..and i no longer worry if shes not eating a particular meal :)

good to hear half cup isnt too little.. every cav is so different i always just worry..but i think we're doing good..her only eating one meal a day (half cup)was a good indication that that's enough for her.

Last edited:
Bosco is also a larger cav. He weighs about 24 lbs. I feel 1/2 cup/day. He gets1/4 cup in the morning and same in evening. I do mix with about 1 tsp wet food. He does get the occasional snack, and I do throw him carrots every now and then.

it does seem like a small amount of food for such a "big" dog, but vet says he should not gain any more weight and that he is fine as is. I did switch buffalo blue regular to blue "healthy weight" over the winter and I think he looks a little thinner. He is walked fro about 15 minutes three times a day, and he runs in the yard with my two Japanese chin. So, he is exercised, but not strenuously.

i will note that my Japanese chin eat the same amount as him! which sounds really odd. They weigh about 6 and 12 lbs, both female and both about 6 years old. They are much more active than him though. They run more and love to patrol my front window, which results in some addl jumping and running.

bosco will be 3 in August. I have come to the conclusion that he either has a low metabolism or just doesn't need to be fed too much. Caves can get heavy fast and you are wise to monitor Maggie's weight. I know it's not easy when you look at how little they eat, but keep telling yourself you are doing the right thing. It's not starving the dog, it's keeping her healthy (I repeat this to myself daily!). Good luck and extra exercise always helps!!

Sophie weighs 17 lbs and is correct weight for her bone frame. I feed her twice a day because she enjoys her meals so much. b*n*n* I have half the necessary daily ration, at each meal, to maintain her weight. Hope this helps.

If you think the amount of dry food looks miniscule, try adding raw vegetables, which help to make the dog feel fuller without eating more solid food. My two enjoy grated carrot, parsnip and courgette, shredded cabbage, sweetcorn (maize); other possibilities are frozen peas and beans, and some Cavaliers love fruit such as apple, melon and banana.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

If you think the amount of dry food looks miniscule, try adding raw vegetables, which help to make the dog feel fuller without eating more solid food. My two enjoy grated carrot, parsnip and courgette, shredded cabbage, sweetcorn (maize); other possibilities are frozen peas and beans, and some Cavaliers love fruit such as apple, melon and banana.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I do feed veggies at times. He still seems to wolf everything down too fast and yes, I do feel a bit better when his bowl looks fuller.

I've never used them, but you can get feeding dishes that are shaped to prevent dogs eating too fast, which might convince your boy he's eating more!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I've heard cooked green beans canned pumpkin (not the canned pie mix) are great filler for a dog on a diet.

Back