Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Puppy (no name yet!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Really, really cute. Have you - or your pupils - decided for a name, yet?
    Charlotte & Christian
    Molly & Éowyn & Khaleesi

Post Thanks / Like

No, I am so indecisive!!! I keep going back and forth. I think I am going to give up on picking a name until I meet him in a few weeks. Maybe magically I'll just know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaMCavalier View Post
    more from the breeder! I am obsessed with these weekly pics! I am a teacher and have been posting them in my classroom and my students love them. I also created a chart where students can help me name them. Since I'm in elementary school, some names are quite ridiculous Look how big he is getting!!

[IMG]5 1/2 weeks by afmckenzie30, on Flickr[/IMG]
    LOL! A few years back my daughters science teacher let the kids pick names for her puppy. The winning name was EINSTEIN, which is really funny as he's not the brightest!!

Did the litter have "theme"? Eg...old fashioned names...etc... The breeders usually go with some sort of naming theme. Maybe that would help.

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, no theme. At least, she never mentioned it to me, so I'm assuming no. My boyfriend likes Charlie. I like it too, but it's too common. Especially since I live in Boston and a lot of dogs are named that because of the Charles River and Charlie Cards (our train/subway ticket system). It's a common name here... ugh! I want something original and cute. Plus he does look pretty serious, so it has to fit his look! Any suggestions? I have less than a month to decide now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If he is going to be Kennel Club registered then the breeder will give him a registered name. Maybe that will give you something to work on?
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever name you choose, make sure the shortened/nickname is one you're comfortable with also. We loved Sherlock for Oliver, but couldn't stand the thought that we would end up calling him Sherly. Also, when we got Oz, my husband wanted to name him Nomo - that was his clever way of saying no more dogs. But to me, I felt like the poor puppy would always feel like we were telling him "no"! So that name was out. Oz's official name became "Oz the great and powerful weiner dog" as my husband is partial to big dogs, but has relented to having 4 of what he calls "weiner" dogs. (Any dog smaller than a german shepherd (our first dog) is a weiner dog.) He now loves all four!!!!! He is really a softy at heart and Oz adores him.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We were thinking of naming our Great Pyrenees Noah, as we liked the name and it was also the name of the breeder's adorable son, but then we realised the dog would hear 'No' and think it was 'Noah'... . He ended up as Bryn, which I like even better. Trainers say names of one or two syllables that aren't similar to human names are best, and which also don't sound like the names of training words, or other dogs in the house (oops -- I have a Lily and a foster named Libby...). But I don't think the 'not like human names' thing matters at all!

It takes me ages to name cats or dogs. Our childhood Great Pyrenees was named Lani -- short for her registered named which was Rhopyrs La Belle Launcelette -- so sometimes the registered name produces a good name (well we all liked it and it was unusual, too).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

8. Likes AmandaMCavalier liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awww, so adorable!!!