• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lucky & Sparky's new Puppy Cuts

Lani

I got Lucky and Sparky's hair cut short once I found out i am allergic to them. This will help me bathe them more frequently and control my allergies.

I have to say I LOVE their puppy cuts!! MY groomer didn't go too short … probably would have been a huge shock if she did! But I love their new looks. They are not show dogs and this will work so much better and hopefully they won't drag in so much stuff from outside.

So anyway, here's a photo I took of them the morning before I got them cut:

And AFTER

They're beautiful! Great pictures! We have an appointment for Abby to get her first grooming coming up in about a week. When you say "puppy cut", how short are you talking about? Is it beneficial (as for comfort) for her to have it cut shorter for the summer? We were thinking about just having her coat trimmed to even it up.

They're beautiful! Great pictures! We have an appointment for Abby to get her first grooming coming up in about a week. When you say "puppy cut", how short are you talking about? Is it beneficial (as for comfort) for her to have it cut shorter for the summer? We were thinking about just having her coat trimmed to even it up.

Well, puppy cut does not have the long feathering on their legs or on their "skirt" hanging down to the ground.

My groomer kept a decent bit of length all around them (maybe 1/2 inch or a bit more). Overall they just look tidier, but she kept the tail as it was.

Lucky's going to be 8 and I've always told the Groomer not to cut them, but given I have allergies I had no choice ... I have to get my allergies under control.

All that said, I wish I'd have let her have at the scissors earlier. I'd even let her go a little shorter on the ears and paws. It is great they don't drag in so much stuff from outside anymore too.

In terms of beneficial for summer I think you will find two opinions on this, both diametrically opposed!! Some say that you should not trim them as the hair actually protects them in the summer and keeps them cool - dogs have a different body chemistry than we do so even though we'd be more comfortable don't assume they will be. The other school of thought is that yes, they'll be more comfy. I tend to think the second is right because frankly, Lucky and Sparky never had really long hair on their backs anyway, so this is really not such a dramatic change from how they were naturally except for all the feathering, etc. which is really more ornamental than insulating or protective. They still have plenty of hair.

Back