Thread: They're fighting, what to do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default They're fighting, what to do?

Hope for help. I am currently pet sitting two 7 yr old tricolor females. Twice Saturday-- once @ feeding time and again when I put the leash on to take them for a walk --they viciously attacked each other. This behavior started a few days before their owner left town, so it's not just my presence @ the home. I called her and she did not know what to do. Any suggestions?

Jack D.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you keep them in separate rooms? Feed and walk separately? Not sure what's going on, but, in my opinion, I think the owner should have them vet checked to make sure nothing medical is going on as this seems to be new behavior for them.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

I would second Joyce's suggestions. Five years after rescue Aled joined us, I still have to feed him and Oliver separately, otherwise Aled stands over Oliver barking and Oliver puts him firmly in his place. It's obviously a hangover from his puppy farm upbringing, but the only safe thing is to separate them. And a sudden change in behaviour is well worth checking out at the vet's.

Kate,Oliver and Aled

4. Thanks jackdav1973 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the feedback Fortunately, no fighting today, I'm crossing my fingers that it was just an aberration. Have 2 more days of sitting; I will pass your suggestions over to their owner when she gets back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would feed them separately, preferably in crates. Over the years we have had some instances of battles, always started over food. So we always feed our dogs in separate crates and pick up the empty food bowels right away.
    Rod Russell

7. Thanks jackdav1973 thanked for this post