• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heat: Fan vs AC

01grander

What temperature is too hot for just a fan? I give my cavs plenty of water and I have a ceiling fan as well as a box fan for them.

Right now I do not have the money to run AC so that is not an option. I will have a window unit when it gets too hot but I am just trying to figure out when it would be necessary.

-Steven

Hmmm interesting question. My guess is that every environment and cavalier is different, but generally, panting with his tongue out even after no physical exertion is how we tell when Skippy is uncomfortable due to the heat. That and he gets off his bed and lies on the marble or hardwood.

Yeah, that is true. I was more worried about what temperature it can actually start to hurt them. I've been uncomfortable the past few nights but I'll survive. I just have to balance their/my comfort with my current bills.

Found a couple of older discussions about what the appropriate indoor temperature for dogs should be, here and here. Don't forget to consider different breeds when reading the advice, but hope they help.

I think that whatever temperature you, yourself, can tolerate, the dog will tolerate as well. Just don't have the dog running a mile or exercising too much in that heat, if it is not accustomed to it.

Thirty-four years ago, husband and I bought a really old, circa 1898, house during a heat wave. It had no air-conditioning, no insulation, no storm windows, was a wood frame/clapboard style and twelve-foot ceilings. Highs were 100°F and lows were in the 80s. We had fans and nothing else. We actually looked forward to going to work in the mornings because the offices had air-conditioning! But I digress...

There was one room that had a small window unit air-conditioner. One night, we dragged the mattress into that room, along with our Irish Setter dog. The dog threw up and we had sore throats! We had gotten so accustomed to the hot nights that we couldn't handle the air-conditioning. So, the mattress got dragged back into our bedroom and the fan turned back on.:cool:

Air-conditioning has only been available in most homes for the past fifty years. My parents bought a new house in 1968 that had no built-in air-conditioning. Before that, nobody had it and dogs survived. Along with the humans.

Yeah, I was thinking that would be fine as well. Just curious about another opinion. I was more worried because they are prone to heat stroke but I give them plenty of water and two fans.

Thanks.

Back