• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hot weather, MVD and fainting. Please help!

Elizabeth was diagnosed with MVD earlier this year and up until about 2 months ago was doing great. She went through a bad spell which resulted to an emerg vet visit, a frusimide injection and an up page on her meds. We thought we had lost her but luckiy she pulled through
She is currently on vetmedin, fortekur, prilactone and frusimide. She has been doing great until today she has just fainted!
i am really shook up and i imagine she is too! She went outside then suddenly fainted. Yelping on the floor and wee'd herself i know its hot weather (24 degrees ish) but how can i help prevent this! I've put a fan on the floor next to her bed just now, an extra bowl of water and i get her clipped on a reg basis. I've also jst given her an extra frusimide and fed her extra to up her energy levels. She seems ok now but seemed fine before she fainted. She was excited at the time as my partner had just walked through the door. After fairing she got up, stumbled a little then generally seemed ok.
can anyone help or offer advice, i know she is a ticking time bomb but i dont want her suffering, this has never happened before!?

So sorry you and Elizabeth are going through this. What you described sounds like syncope. It unfortunately is part of the progression of MVD/CHF. It is a temporary loss of blood flow to the brain. If Elizabeth had been excited at the time it is probably what caused it. Check out the information on Cavalier health.
Try to keep her from getting overly excited. If it happens stay by her and monitor her. My own dog with MVD usually came out of it fairly quickly.
This is a tough disease to deal with as there are so many ups and downs. Try to enjoy the good days as much as you can.

Its happened again today. Is it worth taking her to the vets- what might they be able to do for her!? she generally seems ok in herself...
so upset, feel like the end is not far off :(

I don't have direct experience of this, but if the episodes don't seem to upset Elizabeth and she comes out of them quickly, you may just have to accept them as part of life - remember that she probably isn't worried by them, she's not thinking 'Help, my heart condition must be getting worse'. Far more stressful for you having to watch them, but keeping her calm seems to be the way to go. A talk to your vet might help - he/she may be able to suggest ways of keeping Elizabeth calm or improving blood flow.

:hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I'm sorry Elizabeth is going through this. MVD/CHF is so hard to watch. I would definitely give your vet a call and let him/her know what is going on. Also, keep a log of when it is happening (weather, what she was doing, was is before a mealtime or after a mealtime). This way your vet can get the full picture.

Back