• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Abby the bird dog

scrile

Well, I always knew Spaniels were bird dogs. This morning got off to a wild start. Abby was barking at some birds in a bush, so as I always do, I got the camera out to take some pictures. Abby disappeared under our deck and came trotting back with something in her mouth, which turned out to be a very young sparrow. So after I got a quick picture I was able to get her to trade the sparrow for a dog biscuit. Amazingly, she had not hurt the sparrow as far as I could tell. I released the bird on the other side of our fence and it could still flap it's wings, although it appears too young to fly very far. So I am not sure it will make it on it's own. I decided not to post the picture of the sparrow in her mouth...not sure it would be appropriate....sort of gruesome, even though it seems like she has some sort of natural instinct to hold it gently.

Abbyafterabird_zps290bae26.jpg

I should have guessed it would have to be a tricolour ;)

Cavaliers were created by breeding down from the field spaniels back in history and sometimes the modern Cavalier has the hunting or retrieving instinct, which comes kicks in whenever they get the chance. This is what will have happened to the beautiful Abby and what a stunner of a tricolour you have there. The picture is amazing.

I know about the birding instinct at first hand I'm afraid because I have a bird catching dog, Winston Alexander, who can jump half way up the high fence in the garden to bring down a live mid morning or afternoon teatime snack. There's nothing I can do to stop him, as I said, it's a primative instinct come to the fore and not too uncommon in the breed either.

That bird was very lucky to have met a dog who would give it up. There is no way my lad would.

I have a tri-color, who has absolutely no hunting instinct. We sometimes have bunnies in the yard, and he just looks!

Abby is always into something and she is beautiful!

Joan

I should have guessed it would have to be a tricolour ;)

Cavaliers were created by breeding down from the field spaniels back in history and sometimes the modern Cavalier has the hunting or retrieving instinct, which comes kicks in whenever they get the chance. This is what will have happened to the beautiful Abby and what a stunner of a tricolour you have there. The picture is amazing.

Yes, she is quite the hunter. I suspected as much last summer and fall, when she was still little. We have a humming bird feeder and I noticed she would watch the humming birds with intensity. She would also watch geese flying over whenever they made their presence known via their honking. When we say, "where's the rabbit Abby" she will race around the back yard jumping into the air occasionally in search. And when she sees a rabbit, she really chases hard, but has never caught one yet. It does seem to keep the rabbits at bay and give our flowers and vegetables a chance to grow...all we have to do is keep Abby out of them. :)

Most of mine are definitely not hunters! I have seen them indifferent in the near presence of birds, rats, squirrels, etc. They will chase a cat -- as long as it isn;t one of their cats... :)

Riley, my SM dog, is my hunter. She will catch and unfortunately kill chipmunks, birds, mice, and whatever else she can find out in the yard - although not a bunny yet. She is very reluctant to give them up to me for any kind of treat. I think I've come to the conclusion that it's easier to just let her eat them. Oz on the other hand, might find something dead in the yard, but will always give it up for any kind of treat. Funny how the hunting instinct is strong in different dogs.

Update....she recently caught a young rabbit. Same results, she didn't kill it, just held it gently. The bunny was rescued and set free on the other side of our fence.

We've Had some 'talented ' hunters over the years - Tommy even dug out and killed a mole one time although perhaps it died of shock, generally mine have caught things but not known what to do then! Raasay is sadly very adept at catching small birds, rescued a young, unharmed Siskin from his mouth the other day. Fortunately he will 'trade ' for a treat, it's really good if you can get them to do that, even if it's a bit reluctant on their part!

BTW Raasay is tricolour too, but Tommy is a Blenheim. Rupert 's Blenheim sisters used to catch pheasants in the garden eek! I have also known of Cavaliers who caught squirrels!

Back