• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice Please! Getting my puppy early!

Hello! I am sorry to post another thread on here!

I was told I would be able to get my puppy around 8-10 weeks old. I'm a teacher and when my puppy would be 10 weeks old, is right when I finish up school for the year. My breeder has just told me that I have to get my puppy next weekend (8 weeks old) because they are going on vacation!!

That means that I have 2 weeks where I have to work with a brand new puppy at home!!!! Not my intention :\

Luckily, I teach at a school 3 minutes away. I can leave a lunch and let the puppy out to go to the bathroom. That would mean I would put the puppy in his crate at 8am and then come home around 12 to let him go potty. Then I would be back around 3:15. After the two weeks, I'm home all day everyday for 2 months.

My mother is going come a few days here and there when she can. I took a personal day for the first Monday after I get him.

Any suggestions???

Should I leave a pee pad for him right outside his crate and gate it off? Inside the crate? Will he be able to hold it?

I know this is not ideal :( I don't want to traumatize the puppy in any way!!!

Thanks!!

Amanda

P.S. I still don't have a name and now I have a week to decide!!!! ahh any cute name suggestions?

P.P.S. I am REALLY excited to meet this little guy. He's adorable! I just don't want to be a bad mom the first 2 weeks!

You don't need a name right away, I like to wait and get to them a little before naming them.

Don't put hte pee pad in the crate, use the gate to set up an outside the crate acceptable potty area. It depends on the puppy, some will just sleep while you're gone, and not really need to go, but it's also possible he will need to. Get a hot water bottle with a fleecy cover so he has something warm to snuggle with while you are gone.

8 weeks is really young, your breeder really should have thought this through before doing the breeding, or planning their vacation.

Do you have a friendly neighbor who might be willing to look in on him, take him out for a potty break, and give him a quick hug 1-2 times per day?

Agreed with Soushiruiuma -- don't put the pee pad in the crate as you don't want him to learn that going #1 or #2 whilst inside his crate (even if the pee pad is there) is alright. I'm not sure what space you live in and what set up you have in mind for your pup, but I would recommend setting up a defined space, say, 6x6 feet or so, and keeping your pup in there whilst you're out. The crate and pee pad should also be in that space. If you have baby gates those work, otherwise you can get an "exercise pen" from any decent pet store. Also since you'll be gone for chunks of time make sure there are no objects in or around the pup's space that he can into trouble with -- chemicals (poison), stringy-objects (choking), collar/leash (choking), etc.

Also at 8 weeks old and in a new environment I would not expect the pup to potty according to a 'regular' schedule, at least not for a while.

Thanks for the advice! I am getting an exercise pen so I'll set that up. I just moved to a new apartment a few weeks ago so I'm not sure about the neighbors. My aide at school said she can come over during her lunch too to visit. Hopefully my mom will be able to be here the first couple of days.

Yeah, I was surprised about the breeder. I didn't discuss the timing with her yet, but I wish she had told me in advance that I didn't have a choice.

Oh well, as long as my puppy was raised well so far and is healthy, that is all that matters!

Sadly this is not an ideal situation but at least you know in advance and can prepare. Have a look at the Ian Dunbar books, before and after you get your puppy, which you can download for free. He suggests a brilliant set up for when you can't be there to let puppy out every hour.
www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads full of very helpful advice on managing a pup.

Back