Thread: What do you use in terms of doggy steps and stairs? Looking for recs! Help??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unhappy What do you use in terms of doggy steps and stairs? Looking for recs! Help??

Hi all,

So, I recently got my Lucy back (she'd been staying with my parents because I moved to a place that it turned out wasn't good for her- the landlord was untruthful about her joining the house- long story, not important right now). I am thrilled, but I'm ashamed to say I really messed up. My room is not carpeted, and my bed, while not overly high, is just high enough that she can land quite hard jumping down from it. I'd been thinking to myself 'I should get some stairs for her, or a ramp' but I looked all over and the reviews were just so conflicting, so I was completely unsure as to what to get.

Well, I put it off too long and- about 20 minutes ago, Lucy jumped off my bed- aand started to limp. We're off to the vet (if they ever answer their phone) but I'm sure you all can understand why I'm making getting her some steps or Something is my main priority now (after getting her seen to, of course!). I live in the United States, so I know that's pretty limiting as far as availability of products a lot of you can recommend, but I'm hoping that you can tell me what you've bought for your Cavs.

Another thing is, I don't have $100 to spend on a set of stairs right now- as my disposable income will be going to this vet visit, so anything you can recommend under, say, $75 would be amazing. If it's more than that, I'd love to see it anyway.

I hope to hear some recommendations, and keep your fingers crossed that my baby isn't seriously hurt by my stupid mistake...

(Also, I know there's a post on this but it's from 2010, and a lot of the links don't work so I'm hoping to get some recommendations from more recent purchases)

Post Thanks / Like

I hope your Lucy is okay. I also have a bed that is quite high and I have a small ottoman that I use so he can make the jump a little easier. I am not sure how much pet steps go for but I do know you can pick up small ottomans or footstools for under $30.00. I sometimes even see them at garage sales.
    Sir Remington II (Remy) Oct. 17, 2012 -

3. Thanks hazelpseudoblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got these at Amazon about 6 years ago when Riley had her SM surgery and they are still like new. I've since bought two more sets! Oliver uses them and Madison too even though she doesn't need them, she just likes them. I think they're great and you can get them in three, four, five, or six steps. Hope she heals quickly.

http://www.amazon.com/Petstairz-Dens...ords=petstairz
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

5. Likes hazelpseudoblue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear of her fall! Steps are actually quite inexpensive. I have both wood ones from a pet shop and lightweight plastic ones. Both work well. The plastic ones were cheap --about $25 I think. You could also get an inexpensive rug for the room perhaps? Ikea or Target etc all sell nice cheap ones. It can dogs a while to figure out steps and some never really use them if they can still jump!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

7. Thanks hazelpseudoblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These are just $25. But if you have a high bed, these might be a bit short.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351067246597?_trksid=p2048036
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

9. Thanks hazelpseudoblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey all! I wanted to update you on Lucy, if you see this, and thank you for your recommendations. Lucy went to the ER vet, who checked her out and pronounced that nothing was seriously wrong with her shoulder (sneaky girl- I thought it was her paw!). She didn't do an xray because it doesn't seem like anything is broken or torn- there's no swelling or limited range of motion- she simply doesn't like to move it because it hurts, which means she probably just tweaked something. She was prescribed anti inflammatory painkillers which she was given as soon as we got home. She was very quiet, lying with me on the bed while I typed on my computer, and happily chewing on a cow ear.

Today she is a lot better- barely limping, though I will be continuing with the anti-inflammatories for the next 2 days or so, just to be safe.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Good news that Lucy is okay. FWIW, though, a small ramp like this is nice anyway http://www.petsmart.com/dog/ramps-st...pfm%3Dcategory We ordered one several years ago, when our previous dog was getting quite old and blind. He kept missing the one step up from sidewalk to front door. This is the same idea as what we got, an inexpensive plastic ramp, and it served him very well. After he died, we put it in the basement for the day our Sophie will need it.

12. Thanks hazelpseudoblue thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad Lucy is okay.
    I bought wooden steps for my oldest two, the puppy ate them, I then bought the ebay ones - see Karlin's link - they won't use them either. Can you borrow to try before you buy?

14. Likes hazelpseudoblue liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Karlin! I've looked around but the steps that I've found that aren't hugely expensive are too short for her- she prefers longer stairs (she really doesn't like regular sized, but loves out door stairs with a longer landing, or whatever you call it- bigger space between the actual 'drop down' to the next stair). My friend actually just found me a Groupon for a set of stairs I might consider, though- but for now I think I may have stumbled into a solution (posting that now). Thanks for the recs! Also, my room lacks a carpet because I have a severe allergy to dust, otherwise I'd get one in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by hazelpseudoblue; 4th June 2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: forgot a detail!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi MMM! I 'liked' your response because it is all too familiar to me (and everyone else on here, without a doubt)- puppies eating things that are DEFINITELY not for eating, or not using things you've bought for them (which is the worst!).
    Yesterday after the vet, I was trying to find a temporary solution to keep Ms. Lucy from making the jump that caused the problem in the first place. On a whim, I took a piece of a desk I hadn't put together yet, and set it on its side, covering it with an old terry cloth robe. It works like a charm! Lucy is actually fine with hopping down onto it and then onto the floor. The improvised step is 12 inches off the ground (.3048 m if my conversion is correct), and just over 2 feet long. Not only does it shorten the jump to a tiny hop, but it provides Miss Lucy a comfy little perch where she can lounge and be close to me. She's actually napping there as we speak.

Now, I know that Lucy is on the larger side for Cavaliers, so 12 inches for her isn't a problem but I can understand it might be a bit much for smaller doggies. Still, it works for us- even though it means I won't be using that desk any time soon!

I've attached a picture I've just taken- excuse the mess in the background, I beg of you!

(Mom, what are you doing?? I don't like when you take my picture!!!)