Thread: Traveling with a 8 months old puppy

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Traveling with a 8 months old puppy

Hi everybody!
    We are moving back to US this month and I'm trying to figure out the best option for our Dashy. She is 8 months old, rather big, 5.5 kg already. She is very active and doesn't like to be in the cage. We will fly Prague - Frankfurt, Frankfurt - Dulles. If we talking about my previous doggy, I wouldn't have too much concern as she was much calmer and I would take her with me in the cabin. With Dashy....not so sure. Also, I hade a surgery recently and I can't carry anything heavy. Also, I've never traveled with a dog in the cabin before.
    What is your experience and what would you recommend? On the cabin, but she would be in small cage, not so much space left and then she would see me, but I won't be able to take her out. Or just put her in cargo?
    This is really frustrating and I appreciate any input.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering that you just had surgery and can't carry anything heavy and that Dashy is a handful, I would recommend putting her in cargo. Maybe you can talk with your vet about the trip and see what he recommends to make Dashy most comfortable during the trip.

With Dashy in cargo, you can relax on the plane, focus on recouperating fully and know that Dashy is safe. Many, many pets fly in cargo without incident.

If Dashy is in the cabin with you, and you are worried, Dashy will pick up those vibes and be worried too. It's a long flight, relax and give Dashy big hugs when you re-unite in Dulles.

joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi! I am assuming you already have made all the correct arrangements for an up to date pet passport with all rabies requirements fulfilled. And that you are sure the flight from Germany to the US will allow a dog in cabin (the majority of flights between US/Europe do not).

All that being OK, unless you have already trained Dashy to stay in a very confined space for several hours -- eg she is crate-trained and you have also trained her to be comfortable in her transport bag -- I'd opt for cargo. If she is trained, then I might consider having her in the cabin to Frankfurt and then put her in cargo for the transatlantic segment. But this will require many hours between the two flights or a night over in Frankfurt.

She needs to be crate trained as well to be comfortable in cargo.

That all makes it a bit difficult to advise on short notice as if you are travelling in coming weeks, there aren't really a lot of options if she isn't trained to stay in a bag or crate. Also I am not sure how you would manage moving her between flights and carry her on? You can't take her out to walk around the airport to get from point to point, at most places.

Correct paperwork is of course critical. What you definitely don't want is to arrive at Dulles and find they will not allow Dashy in and put her in quarantine for 6 months.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I travelled with my younger dog Lucy when she was 6 and a half months old. We made a journey of a few hours from Berlin to our home within europe and she was in the cabin with me, in her travel bag, but had to stay on the floor of aircraft under the seat in front of me. Lucy had already been used to a travel container; BUT I would not be so quick to do it again in preference to cargo. I realised as soon as we were airborne that the cabin was way too hot, and Lucy was getting fractious. I asked the attendant would she check please as I would need to give her water? by then the people in the seat next to me had realised
    I had a dog with me!!! they were nothing short of horrified....and started to complain to the cabin crew.....by then the temperature on board had reduced, but still I felt was uncomfortable and I was very worried about Lucy, now quite agitated in her bag and me not being able to doing much about it....hostile non doggy lovers next to me and still 3 hours to go.....fortunately, one of the crew allowed me to move to a vacant back row seat where I could have Lucy strapped onto the seat itself beside me (she still in her bag) I could give her a drink and quietly keep my hand in contact with her the rest of the flight. I have never been so relieved for a journey to end. All our paperwork was in order, so we had no further problems, and once we had landed the vet met us and Lucy was able to stretch her legs whilst he examined her and we then continued home. Now, this was just my experience, and I really hadn't thought to put her in cargo, mainly because I didn't have to as she was small enough and within the weight and size limit to go in the cabin. I do think that cargo would have been better for us both and definitely more comfy for her - I would not have been giving off calming vibes I can tell you!

I hope all goes well with whatever you decide; needless to say, check, check and double check all your paperwork is in order and the logistics and practicalities of moving between airlines and airports so you have no unwelcome surprises!
    Dillon tri boy and Lucy Goose our ruby girl & Katerina, that's me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need your pet passport, and a current rabies vaccine. I think you can just walk in with those and don't need any other import paperwork (contact the embassy to be sure, do not trust people on the internet). I flew NOLA, Atlanta, Paris with a cavalier in cabin. In my opinion it is the better option, much safer for the dog. If you can't carry the carrier perhaps think about making use of the limited mobility carts that most airports have, or requesting a wheelchair within the airport (they will meet you at the gates and wheel you around. Check your eligibility or if advance bookings are required for those ride-on transports.

I took the carrier into the bathroom with me during the flight to offer Thistle some water, a pee pad, and a chance to stretch her legs. She always loved her carrier (a sturdibag), and wanted nothing more than to get back to her nap in the bag. So she went the whole flight without so much as a drop of water (her choice, I offered).

Your other, much more pleasant, option is to try to get a booking on the QM2, but be warned the kennels are very hard to find space in- keep calling back though, they do get cancelations. Guinness and I went NY to Southhampton (I wish we had just paid the extra money to go all the way to Germany though).

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all! I do have all the vaccination and rabies as well. My vet is dealing with expats coming and going, so she knows what to do.
    Of course, she's not trained to stay in a cage, but we're practicing now, giving her treat etc. and she's going in on her own now expecting something. I was able to find a career from trixie on wheels, but need to check the size as well.

This is stressing me out the most. I mean the whole move is a stress, but this is hard to decide as I don't know what to expect. We used to fly with our cat, but not sure what to do with a dog.

What is QM2?

Btw. my really close friend is from Sion