• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Traveling with a 8 months old puppy

marcela

Hi everybody!
We are moving back to US this month and I'm trying to figure out the best option for our Dashy. She is 8 months old, rather big, 5.5 kg already. She is very active and doesn't like to be in the cage. We will fly Prague - Frankfurt, Frankfurt - Dulles. If we talking about my previous doggy, I wouldn't have too much concern as she was much calmer and I would take her with me in the cabin. With Dashy....not so sure. Also, I hade a surgery recently and I can't carry anything heavy. Also, I've never traveled with a dog in the cabin before.
What is your experience and what would you recommend? On the cabin, but she would be in small cage, not so much space left and then she would see me, but I won't be able to take her out. Or just put her in cargo?
This is really frustrating and I appreciate any input.

Considering that you just had surgery and can't carry anything heavy and that Dashy is a handful, I would recommend putting her in cargo. Maybe you can talk with your vet about the trip and see what he recommends to make Dashy most comfortable during the trip.

With Dashy in cargo, you can relax on the plane, focus on recouperating fully and know that Dashy is safe. Many, many pets fly in cargo without incident.

If Dashy is in the cabin with you, and you are worried, Dashy will pick up those vibes and be worried too. It's a long flight, relax and give Dashy big hugs when you re-unite in Dulles.

joan

Hi! I am assuming you already have made all the correct arrangements for an up to date pet passport with all rabies requirements fulfilled. And that you are sure the flight from Germany to the US will allow a dog in cabin (the majority of flights between US/Europe do not).

All that being OK, unless you have already trained Dashy to stay in a very confined space for several hours -- eg she is crate-trained and you have also trained her to be comfortable in her transport bag -- I'd opt for cargo. If she is trained, then I might consider having her in the cabin to Frankfurt and then put her in cargo for the transatlantic segment. But this will require many hours between the two flights or a night over in Frankfurt.

She needs to be crate trained as well to be comfortable in cargo.

That all makes it a bit difficult to advise on short notice as if you are travelling in coming weeks, there aren't really a lot of options if she isn't trained to stay in a bag or crate. Also I am not sure how you would manage moving her between flights and carry her on? You can't take her out to walk around the airport to get from point to point, at most places.

Correct paperwork is of course critical. What you definitely don't want is to arrive at Dulles and find they will not allow Dashy in and put her in quarantine for 6 months.

I travelled with my younger dog Lucy when she was 6 and a half months old. We made a journey of a few hours from Berlin to our home within europe and she was in the cabin with me, in her travel bag, but had to stay on the floor of aircraft under the seat in front of me. Lucy had already been used to a travel container; BUT I would not be so quick to do it again in preference to cargo. I realised as soon as we were airborne that the cabin was way too hot, and Lucy was getting fractious. I asked the attendant would she check please as I would need to give her water? by then the people in the seat next to me had realised
I had a dog with me!!! they were nothing short of horrified....and started to complain to the cabin crew.....by then the temperature on board had reduced, but still I felt was uncomfortable and I was very worried about Lucy, now quite agitated in her bag and me not being able to doing much about it....hostile non doggy lovers next to me and still 3 hours to go.....fortunately, one of the crew allowed me to move to a vacant back row seat where I could have Lucy strapped onto the seat itself beside me (she still in her bag) I could give her a drink and quietly keep my hand in contact with her the rest of the flight. I have never been so relieved for a journey to end. All our paperwork was in order, so we had no further problems, and once we had landed the vet met us and Lucy was able to stretch her legs whilst he examined her and we then continued home. Now, this was just my experience, and I really hadn't thought to put her in cargo, mainly because I didn't have to as she was small enough and within the weight and size limit to go in the cabin. I do think that cargo would have been better for us both and definitely more comfy for her - I would not have been giving off calming vibes I can tell you!

I hope all goes well with whatever you decide; needless to say, check, check and double check all your paperwork is in order and the logistics and practicalities of moving between airlines and airports so you have no unwelcome surprises!

You need your pet passport, and a current rabies vaccine. I think you can just walk in with those and don't need any other import paperwork (contact the embassy to be sure, do not trust people on the internet). I flew NOLA, Atlanta, Paris with a cavalier in cabin. In my opinion it is the better option, much safer for the dog. If you can't carry the carrier perhaps think about making use of the limited mobility carts that most airports have, or requesting a wheelchair within the airport (they will meet you at the gates and wheel you around. Check your eligibility or if advance bookings are required for those ride-on transports.

I took the carrier into the bathroom with me during the flight to offer Thistle some water, a pee pad, and a chance to stretch her legs. She always loved her carrier (a sturdibag), and wanted nothing more than to get back to her nap in the bag. So she went the whole flight without so much as a drop of water (her choice, I offered).

Your other, much more pleasant, option is to try to get a booking on the QM2, but be warned the kennels are very hard to find space in- keep calling back though, they do get cancelations. Guinness and I went NY to Southhampton (I wish we had just paid the extra money to go all the way to Germany though).

Thank you all! I do have all the vaccination and rabies as well. My vet is dealing with expats coming and going, so she knows what to do.
Of course, she's not trained to stay in a cage, but we're practicing now, giving her treat etc. and she's going in on her own now expecting something. I was able to find a career from trixie on wheels, but need to check the size as well.

This is stressing me out the most. I mean the whole move is a stress, but this is hard to decide as I don't know what to expect. We used to fly with our cat, but not sure what to do with a dog.

What is QM2?

Btw. my really close friend is from Sion:)

Someone recommended dogjaunt.com to me and there is great advice for travel with dogs as well as the various requirements for different countries. Good luck and congrats on the new family member!

Thanks again for any input. So Dashy will be in the cabin with me. She is getting used to her crate and doing little bit better now. Just a little. I went to Ikea and bought one of those shopping bags on wheels and going to attach her argo bag to it. One little hiccups here...she ate part of the zipper on it and of course, I can't find new one in this size. I'm going to sew it together and hope for the best. The travel agent suggest a wheel chair for me as well. So I'm trying to decide, which way to go now.
I won't feed her her BARF now and she is much calmer after eating dog dry food.
Wish me luck, because I'm so nervous traveling this far with her and I have no idea what to expect! Friend was laughing about it saying that she wouldn't be surprise if Dashy ends up in with the pilots, taking over :) She is really hyper cavalier.

Also, I'm thinking cutting her fur a little bit, so she looks smaller and no one will give me hard time on the airport. The crate from ARGo is the large one and apparently great for her. But not sure about the standing in it as they request.

I don't know how strict they are in European airports, but Riley has traveled with me more times than I can count in US airports and I have always carried her in my arms through every airport I have been in. Not one person has ever told me to put her in her carrying case. At the check-in desk, they are more concerned with the weight of the case plus the weight of the dog, so they will weigh them together, but I don't have to put Riley in it. Not one person has asked if she is able to stand inside the case. But if Dashy can walk into it, he can stand in it, so I wouldn't worry. If you have a long layover, you might be able to find an area outside that has grass so that he can pee and walk around. You'd have to go through security again, but it might be worth it before the transatlantic flight. Good luck. Riley is a dream of a flier. I hope Dashy turns out to be. I think the hum of the engines puts her to sleep.

My experience at Berlin (Tegel) was that at the check-in desk Lucy plus her carry case were weighed and checked that she could stand and move around inside the carrier. Then we moved through security where I took her out of the carrier so it could be scanned and checked, then Lucy and I walked through the arc scan and she then had to return to her carrier. All the staff were wonderful with her, but thorough nonetheless, but I do not have any complaints there. My problems began, as I said earlier once I'd boarded the plane. I hope that all your arrangements go to plan and you have a good journey!!

Just an idea, but could you give Dashy a mild tranquilizer right before the flights? Our Sophie can be rather hyper, and there is no wayI can imagine that she would be a quiet, calm traveler on an airplane without some doggie valium.

Just an idea, but could you give Dashy a mild tranquilizer right before the flights? Our Sophie can be rather hyper, and there is no wayI can imagine that she would be a quiet, calm traveler on an airplane without some doggie valium.

I have understood that such medication can cause unpredictable reaction during air travel, so may not be best advised. Of course I may be wrong...:confused:

You are right, tranquilisers are not advised for travel. Here's why (even though at first it seems like a good idea! :) ):

http://www.petrelocation.com/blog/pet-travel-expert/no-sedation-when-flying-pets

Excerpt:

According to American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), air transport of sedated pets may be fatal. Over sedation is the most frequent cause of animal deaths during airline transport and accounts for more than half of all deaths when flying. Except in unusual circumstances, veterinarians should not dispense sedatives for animals that are to be transported.

Little is known about the effects of sedation on animals that are under the stress of transportation and enclosed in cages at 8,000 feet or higher, the altitude at which cargo holds are pressurized. Additionally, some animals react abnormally to sedatives. Although animals may be excitable while being handled during the trip to the airport and prior to loading, they probably revert to a quiescent resting state in the dark, closed cargo hold, and the sedatives may have an excessive effect. - See more at: http://www.petrelocation.com/blog/p...edation-when-flying-pets#sthash.3UX9Ug56.dpuf

Thank ladies, it's good to know that I can carry her in my arms and not in the cage all the time.
I have only about one hour layover in Frankfurt, but honestly I've seen people walking their dogs over there.

We have this carrier: http://www.amazon.com/Teafco-Petago...d=1402718789&sr=1-6&keywords=argo+pet+carrier

So I have o put her in. She can actually jump in it expecting some treats now :)
She can probably stand it in if she wants to as the carrier is soft. I have a plastic one at home (when my cat was still small), but not sure which one would be better.
I'm stressing that someone will have a problem with Dashy in the soft one. But all my US friends with cavaliers are traveling using the sherpa bag and that is also soft, isn't it? One of them was here last week saying that my bag is just fine. And she travels all the time with her dog.

Vet also told me not to use any drugs for her. But honestly, I took her for a car trip few days ago. She was upset at first and then she calmed down. I'll do another trip today and until I fly and will see.

Funny thing...United wouldn't let me have her in the cabin with me. And I thought that they have pet friendly policy now. At least this is what they announce.

I'm packing soft bag for water, puppy training mats, treats, plastic bags, my used t-shirt or something to put in the carrier. Any other tips?

Oh...one more thing. I'm flying business with her. They are usually really nice there. I wanted to use my mileage in United and upgrade for first class. Which would mean fewer people and more attention from the staff but United wouldn't let me. Oh well.

But Lufthansa people are usually super nice and helpful. So I'm praying for ok experience.
And then my kids would fly alone two weeks later after spending time with grandparents. And cats will be shipped by cargo once we move into our new house in August. One is 16 and vet told me to leave her here with my parents, but I can't imagine my life without him. Too much stress with all this move.

Definitely use the soft bag. It's easier to squish under the seat in front of you, although you will have more room since you're flying business class. I've only had one person on the plane complain about being seated next to me with Riley. She told the flight attendant she was allergic to dogs and was reseated. Problem solved with a minimum of fuss and the person who traded seats with her was delightful and never knew Riley was there until I opened the top zipper up while waiting to deplane and she stuck her head out for cuddles.

Back