Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a 8 months old puppy

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how strict they are in European airports, but Riley has traveled with me more times than I can count in US airports and I have always carried her in my arms through every airport I have been in. Not one person has ever told me to put her in her carrying case. At the check-in desk, they are more concerned with the weight of the case plus the weight of the dog, so they will weigh them together, but I don't have to put Riley in it. Not one person has asked if she is able to stand inside the case. But if Dashy can walk into it, he can stand in it, so I wouldn't worry. If you have a long layover, you might be able to find an area outside that has grass so that he can pee and walk around. You'd have to go through security again, but it might be worth it before the transatlantic flight. Good luck. Riley is a dream of a flier. I hope Dashy turns out to be. I think the hum of the engines puts her to sleep.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I referred to Dashy as a boy. My apologies to your little girl.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

My experience at Berlin (Tegel) was that at the check-in desk Lucy plus her carry case were weighed and checked that she could stand and move around inside the carrier. Then we moved through security where I took her out of the carrier so it could be scanned and checked, then Lucy and I walked through the arc scan and she then had to return to her carrier. All the staff were wonderful with her, but thorough nonetheless, but I do not have any complaints there. My problems began, as I said earlier once I'd boarded the plane. I hope that all your arrangements go to plan and you have a good journey!!
    Dillon tri boy and Lucy Goose our ruby girl & Katerina, that's me!

Post Thanks / Like

Just an idea, but could you give Dashy a mild tranquilizer right before the flights? Our Sophie can be rather hyper, and there is no wayI can imagine that she would be a quiet, calm traveler on an airplane without some doggie valium.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waldor View Post
    Just an idea, but could you give Dashy a mild tranquilizer right before the flights? Our Sophie can be rather hyper, and there is no wayI can imagine that she would be a quiet, calm traveler on an airplane without some doggie valium.
    I have understood that such medication can cause unpredictable reaction during air travel, so may not be best advised. Of course I may be wrong...
    Dillon tri boy and Lucy Goose our ruby girl & Katerina, that's me!

Post Thanks / Like

How about using a thunder shirt that helps with anxiety. You can get them online and at many pet stores.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...rt%2Caps%2C326
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You are right, tranquilisers are not advised for travel. Here's why (even though at first it seems like a good idea! ):

http://www.petrelocation.com/blog/pe...en-flying-pets

Excerpt:

According to American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), air transport of sedated pets may be fatal. Over sedation is the most frequent cause of animal deaths during airline transport and accounts for more than half of all deaths when flying. Except in unusual circumstances, veterinarians should not dispense sedatives for animals that are to be transported.

Little is known about the effects of sedation on animals that are under the stress of transportation and enclosed in cages at 8,000 feet or higher, the altitude at which cargo holds are pressurized. Additionally, some animals react abnormally to sedatives. Although animals may be excitable while being handled during the trip to the airport and prior to loading, they probably revert to a quiescent resting state in the dark, closed cargo hold, and the sedatives may have an excessive effect. - See more at: http://www.petrelocation.com/blog/pe....3UX9Ug56.dpuf
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank ladies, it's good to know that I can carry her in my arms and not in the cage all the time.
    I have only about one hour layover in Frankfurt, but honestly I've seen people walking their dogs over there.

We have this carrier: http://www.amazon.com/Teafco-Petagon...go+pet+carrier

So I have o put her in. She can actually jump in it expecting some treats now
    She can probably stand it in if she wants to as the carrier is soft. I have a plastic one at home (when my cat was still small), but not sure which one would be better.
    I'm stressing that someone will have a problem with Dashy in the soft one. But all my US friends with cavaliers are traveling using the sherpa bag and that is also soft, isn't it? One of them was here last week saying that my bag is just fine. And she travels all the time with her dog.

Vet also told me not to use any drugs for her. But honestly, I took her for a car trip few days ago. She was upset at first and then she calmed down. I'll do another trip today and until I fly and will see.

Funny thing...United wouldn't let me have her in the cabin with me. And I thought that they have pet friendly policy now. At least this is what they announce.

I'm packing soft bag for water, puppy training mats, treats, plastic bags, my used t-shirt or something to put in the carrier. Any other tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh...one more thing. I'm flying business with her. They are usually really nice there. I wanted to use my mileage in United and upgrade for first class. Which would mean fewer people and more attention from the staff but United wouldn't let me. Oh well.

But Lufthansa people are usually super nice and helpful. So I'm praying for ok experience.
    And then my kids would fly alone two weeks later after spending time with grandparents. And cats will be shipped by cargo once we move into our new house in August. One is 16 and vet told me to leave her here with my parents, but I can't imagine my life without him. Too much stress with all this move.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely use the soft bag. It's easier to squish under the seat in front of you, although you will have more room since you're flying business class. I've only had one person on the plane complain about being seated next to me with Riley. She told the flight attendant she was allergic to dogs and was reseated. Problem solved with a minimum of fuss and the person who traded seats with her was delightful and never knew Riley was there until I opened the top zipper up while waiting to deplane and she stuck her head out for cuddles.
    Bev