• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

weight problem

Bigtrout

My vet has recommended Hills Prescription Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution Dry food for my overweight Cavalier. Has anybody used this food before for their dog and had good results?

I've never used this product, but my understanding is that this is not a good food. I don't know how much you are feeding, but a better option would be to get a good quality food, cut the portion in half, then supplement using fresh fruits and vegetables. Also exercise will help bring off the excess weight.

Here are the main ingredients:

"Chicken By-Product Meal, Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Pea Bran Meal, Soybean Mill Run, Soybean Meal, Dried Tomato Pomace, Chicken Liver Flavor, ... Powdered Cellulose"

I would not feed this to an uninvited rat. "Chicken By-Product Meal" does not contain any meat at all. The rest of it is a mix of carbohydrates. This food is part of the problem, not the solution. By the way, "powdered cellulose" is made of the same stuff you will find on sawmill floors. Dry dog food -- kibble -- has more carbohydrate because it is used to hold the kibble bits together. Dry food will cause your dog to gain weight. The added saw dust (powdered cellulose) is intended to give him a full feeling without providing any additional nutrition.

I recommend a really good canned food with real meat. We feed our dogs a home-made raw diet, but we find such canned foods like Merrick Thanksgiving Day Dinner and Merrick Cowboy Cookout are much more nutritious.

Last edited:
I used Buffalo Blue Healthy Weight for Small Breed. Bosco is fed about 1/4 cup dry in morning with 1/2 T wet (usually Merrick). Same amount in the evening. He gets the occassional treat, and does love baby carrots, green beans, zucchini, and even celery. When he looks at me as I cook, I throw him veggies....

Bosco weighs about 22 lbs, so he is not a small cav. He is just fine for his bone structure, but I am amazed at how little he needs to sustain that weight. If you like the food you are feeding now, maybe just cut back a little each day. Exercise will help too. Bosco is always acts hungry, but I know if I feed him more, he will be overweight in no time. its hard to resist those big, brown eyes....

Yes, My Mum is currently using Hills metabolic for her 9 year old dog. Since end of January,he has lost ten Lbs.
It's the only food that has ever worked for him.
I would recommend it.
Sins.

Back