Thread: The Damage of the Dog Whisperer: A scientific critique of Cesar Millanís theories

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The Damage of the Dog Whisperer: A scientific critique of Cesar Millanís theories

Those who are fans of Cesar Milan, please read this article: http://yodogcast.tumblr.com/post/555...tific-critique
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for posting that -- a good read. I'm not a fan of Milan though his approach can (unfortunately) seem very seductive to TV-watchers. If people watch various episodes closely that anxiety dogs show can be quite alarming. I think he is genuine in his own love of dogs, but sure wish he'd consider that there might be very negative reasons why he thinks he sees 'results' and how easily his techniques can go wrong. I know so many trainers who end up trying to address dogs with problems that have grown worse and sometimes more dangerous (un)thanks to Milan techniques.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

3. Thanks Nicki thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Surely training is to watch and listen to what other people do then to decide what you are comfortable with. I think that good training is a matter of developing a rapport between trainer and dog, then finding out what the dog responds to best and being consistent in using that method.

I was watching a programme on BBC2 earlier about the year 1980 looking back over the tv at that time. The infamous Mrs Woodhouse eventually was featured with her idiosyncratic training methods. There was never any way that I would treat a dog like that but many people were successful in using her techniques. Horses for courses I suppose, or should I have said dogs for kennels perhaps?
    Last edited by ByFloSin; 9th June 2014 at 12:42 AM.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Before we've got our first cavalier we used to watch Milan in 2010 but along the way there is something wrong the way he train th dogs. After few months I stopped patronizing his show. I know people who hail him lime a God send in the field of dog training. Eversince I am a believer of positive and treat base training.
    Buster (Tri color male) June 23, 2013
    Cookie (Blenheim female) January 8, 2014