• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Damage of the Dog Whisperer: A scientific critique of Cesar Millan’s theories

Thanks for posting that -- a good read. I'm not a fan of Milan though his approach can (unfortunately) seem very seductive to TV-watchers. If people watch various episodes closely that anxiety dogs show can be quite alarming. :( I think he is genuine in his own love of dogs, but sure wish he'd consider that there might be very negative reasons why he thinks he sees 'results' and how easily his techniques can go wrong. I know so many trainers who end up trying to address dogs with problems that have grown worse and sometimes more dangerous (un)thanks to Milan techniques. :yikes

Surely training is to watch and listen to what other people do then to decide what you are comfortable with. I think that good training is a matter of developing a rapport between trainer and dog, then finding out what the dog responds to best and being consistent in using that method.

I was watching a programme on BBC2 earlier about the year 1980 looking back over the tv at that time. The infamous Mrs Woodhouse eventually was featured with her idiosyncratic training methods. There was never any way that I would treat a dog like that but many people were successful in using her techniques. Horses for courses I suppose, or should I have said dogs for kennels perhaps? :oops:

Last edited:
Before we've got our first cavalier we used to watch Milan in 2010 but along the way there is something wrong the way he train th dogs. After few months I stopped patronizing his show. I know people who hail him lime a God send in the field of dog training. Eversince I am a believer of positive and treat base training.

Back