• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why do puppies do this?

Sydneys Mom

Milo is constantly trying to bite at BellaMia's ears, side, tail. I know its normal puppy behavior and Bella will give him a warning bark or growl or other appropriate response to put him in his place. But how much should Bella have to take before I step in? I am always close by when they are in the same room so I can monitor them and make sure no one is getting hurt. Bella likes to play rough and I'm afraid she may hurt him accidentally. I do separate them if I think its getting too rough. I've never experienced this before as I've never had 2 dogs at once.

How long did it take your dogs to curl up together? I love seeing pictures of dogs all cuddled up and can't wait for my 2 to do this too.

How old is Milo now (such a cute name)?

I'f leave them unless/until BellaMia is looking really annoyed. A mild growl or snap puts some manners on him and is useful training for him, better for bite inhibition than we humans can give! But if it really is incessant pestering I'd pop him or her in a pen or otherwise separate them to give her a break.

It also kind of depends on the dog. Some older adult dogs enjoy puppies and some just do not care much for puppies (in the same way some adult humans find it tiring to be around other people's toddlers... :lol:). In that case I'd probably give the adult dog more 'me time' and trust that they'll get along a lot better when the pup is an adult. :)

Most of my older cavaliers are not big puppy fans...! But the Pyreneans just adore puppies. :)

So is sounds as if I'm doing the right things. I figured they would have to sort it themselves, but just wanted I was taking the right approach. We do give Bella special time with us and plenty of extra attention.

Milo will be 5 mos. next week, so right in the midst of all that puppyness. Bella will be 2 in Aug (can ya believe it already, where did the time go!) As much as he annoys her, she is a good big sister. When he's in his kennel, she will lay right beside him on the outside, if he whines, she runs right over to see what's up. He'll take something from her, and she let's him, but she won't take it back until he drops it himself.

They are fun to watch!

I am in just abut the same boat...

Our 10 month old tri-colored boy (Marley) is very small (11 pounds) and very submissive.

Our 8 month old brown and black boy (Cooper) is much larger and more the alpha male type. He gets very jealous when Marley is getting affection.

Cooper can be quite agressive during play - biting ears, legs, etc. When does it go beyond play and time to step in?

>>> I did have some good success over the weekend with putting Copper into a time out when he got too aggressive. He seems to be improving every day. I guess it is a matter of putting in more time and work????

I think I would leave them alone, for now. When we had a female Australian Shepherd, and got a male Shih Tzu puppy, the same thing happened. The vet or trainer (so long ago I don't remember which), said the female would not hurt a puppy, as her natural mothering instinct would not allow her to attack a puppy, and at some point she would let the pup know when to back off.

Also, a male will generally want to be the dominant dog (as a rule) and they will sort that out as Milo gets older. I think I was told that generally the male ends up being dominant, but female can be dominant, depending on their individual personality types.

Back