• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vets with SM/CM knowlege in Ontario Canada

Stephanie

Hello everyone!

I have the sinking suspicion that my nearly 2 year old cav may have SM. He scratches his ears and neck quite frequently, is restless at night, lays on cold floors and has been biting at his behind lately. Unfortunately, cavaliers are a rare breed where I live so finding a vet with SM knowledge is proving to be difficult. I live in southern ontario (Toronto area to be exact) but I am more than willing to travel to a vet that can actually help.

If anyone knows where I might find a vet please let me know.

Thanks so much in advance. Such a shame that this awful thing can happen to such a sweet breed.

Welcome to the forum, but I'm sorry to hear of your suspicions. The first thing to rule out is anal gland issues though.

Following that, there are two neurologists in Ontario, you would need to check their experience with the condition, and would, I think, need a referral from your vet.

ONTARIO

Guelph

Dr. Luis Gaitero
Ontario Veterinary College
University of Guelph
McGilvary Road
Guelph, ON N1G 2W1
Tel: 519-824-4120, ext. 54129
E-mail: [email protected]

Dr. Fiona M. K. James
Ontario Veterinary College
University of Guelph
McGilvary Road
Guelph, ON N1G 2W1
Tel: 519-824-4120, ext. 54080
E-mail: [email protected]

It is heartbreaking that our fabulous breed suffers with this dreadful condition.

The university of Montreal is the world leader in genome research on SM in Cavaliers. If there isn't an SM expert there, I think they would be able to tell you where to find one. The genome research takes place at the Sainte Justine Research Centre, but there is a Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the university - you could phone them and ask for advice and a recommended neurologist?

Kate, Oliver and Aled (both with SM)

I know the Cavalier Fanciers of Southern Ontario (breed club) have quite a few people that have been involved and are familiar with this condition and can point you in the right direction. http://www.cavalierfanciers.ca/index.html. I am sorry for your concerns but hopefully you will be able to find some support in your area and find good places to go in your area.

Back