Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass in throat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mass in throat

Just wanted to ask for everyone's good wishes for Madison for next Tuesday (July 7). She is having a sedated laryngoscopy for a possible oropharyngeal mass that they might be able to remove or they might have to also do a CT scan to evaluate it further. She has a chronic history of reverse sneezing, heavy panting, loud breathing, and also historical episodes of collapse related to cervical spinal cord ischemia (periodic loss of blood flow to the brain due to a narrowed artery) for which she takes daily baby aspirin. That's why we have to wait a week for the surgery - they want the baby aspirin out of her system to reduce the incidence of bleeding.

On Saturday night she had a prolonged (30-45 minutes) acute episode of reverse sneezing accompanied by retching, choking sounds and very labored breathing. She was also very distressed by it, whereas she is not bothered too much by normal reverse sneezing. After she was stabilized in the ER, the x-rays were very suspicious for a mass, but because of the aspirin we have to wait to find out what it is. She's very comfortable now, but they want me to keep her quiet - no walks, keep her cool (today was almost 90 degrees outside), so keep her in the air conditioning. Luckily she's almost 11 years old, so she likes to sleep a lot, but she will miss her walks.

So here's hoping it's not cancer and whatever it is, it is easily treatable or able to be removed. I'll let you know.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh no, you and Madison have had quite a stressful time of things. I can only imagine how worrying that recent episode must have been. It sounds like she is under very good care and I hope all will go fine with the further investigations and that this is something easily managed. Fingers and paws crossed for you both.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

3. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy, I really hate reading this. Being in the emergency room is so stressful, but I know you are doing everything necessary to help Madison.

I'll certainly keep all fingers and paws crossed that all goes well next week.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

5. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh goodness Bev, so sorry to hear this, it sounds horrid. Poor Madison, a very stressful time for you both.: (

Keeping you in our thoughts, hoping for the best possible news for next Tuesday. It does sound like she is getting the best possible care which is excellent.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

7. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you - our oldies are so precious, but can be so fragile. Hope next week brings good news.

Kate, Oliver (aged 13) and Aled

9. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Love my Cavaliers View Post
    Just wanted to ask for everyone's good wishes for Madison for next Tuesday (July 7)..
    Bev, Monday is the 7th, so is Madison going in Monday or Tuesday? Sending all good wishes either day, just to make sure she gets them.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Oops! Going in on Tuesday the 8th. All of her labwork came back great for an oldie. So she's good to go. Even her clotting times came back fine. Poor girl was very distressed yesterday when she couldn't go for a walk and the other three did. She got a biscuit, but it didn't make up for it in her mind!
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

12. Likes Nicki liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you and Madison....sending best wishes and love "over the pond" towards you

XXX
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

14. Thanks Love my Cavaliers thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Madison is home! She had a sedated oral laryngoscopy and her doctor really found nothing of interest beyond a mild inflammatory process. We did not go ahead with the C-T scan as everything looked really fairly normal. My gut is that she probably ate something that really irritated her and that if we had done a follow-up x-ray today right before her sedated oral exam, it might have shown that there was no mass. But, I feel better that he looked and confirmed that indeed there is nothing there. I can rest easier tonight! She's been acting normal except for that one incident. So, thank you all for your good wishes and concerns. They worked this time!!!!!
    Bev

16. Likes Nicki liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is wonderful news
    Sir Remington II (Remy) Oct. 17, 2012 -