• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mass in throat

Love my Cavaliers

Just wanted to ask for everyone's good wishes for Madison for next Tuesday (July 7). She is having a sedated laryngoscopy for a possible oropharyngeal mass that they might be able to remove or they might have to also do a CT scan to evaluate it further. She has a chronic history of reverse sneezing, heavy panting, loud breathing, and also historical episodes of collapse related to cervical spinal cord ischemia (periodic loss of blood flow to the brain due to a narrowed artery) for which she takes daily baby aspirin. That's why we have to wait a week for the surgery - they want the baby aspirin out of her system to reduce the incidence of bleeding.

On Saturday night she had a prolonged (30-45 minutes) acute episode of reverse sneezing accompanied by retching, choking sounds and very labored breathing. She was also very distressed by it, whereas she is not bothered too much by normal reverse sneezing. After she was stabilized in the ER, the x-rays were very suspicious for a mass, but because of the aspirin we have to wait to find out what it is. She's very comfortable now, but they want me to keep her quiet - no walks, keep her cool (today was almost 90 degrees outside), so keep her in the air conditioning. Luckily she's almost 11 years old, so she likes to sleep a lot, but she will miss her walks.

So here's hoping it's not cancer and whatever it is, it is easily treatable or able to be removed. I'll let you know.

Oh no, you and Madison have had quite a stressful time of things. :shock: I can only imagine how worrying that recent episode must have been. It sounds like she is under very good care and I hope all will go fine with the further investigations and that this is something easily managed. Fingers and paws crossed for you both.

Oh boy, I really hate reading this. Being in the emergency room is so stressful, but I know you are doing everything necessary to help Madison.

I'll certainly keep all fingers and paws crossed that all goes well next week. :hug:

Oh goodness Bev, so sorry to hear this, it sounds horrid. Poor Madison, a very stressful time for you both.: (

Keeping you in our thoughts, hoping for the best possible news for next Tuesday. It does sound like she is getting the best possible care which is excellent.

Thinking of you - our oldies are so precious, but can be so fragile. Hope next week brings good news. :xfngr:

Kate, Oliver (aged 13) and Aled

Oops! Going in on Tuesday the 8th. All of her labwork came back great for an oldie. So she's good to go. Even her clotting times came back fine. Poor girl was very distressed yesterday when she couldn't go for a walk and the other three did. She got a biscuit, but it didn't make up for it in her mind!

Thinking of you and Madison....sending best wishes and love "over the pond" towards you

XXX

Madison is home! She had a sedated oral laryngoscopy and her doctor really found nothing of interest beyond a mild inflammatory process. We did not go ahead with the C-T scan as everything looked really fairly normal. My gut is that she probably ate something that really irritated her and that if we had done a follow-up x-ray today right before her sedated oral exam, it might have shown that there was no mass. But, I feel better that he looked and confirmed that indeed there is nothing there. I can rest easier tonight! She's been acting normal except for that one incident. So, thank you all for your good wishes and concerns. They worked this time!!!!!

That's great news! b*n*n*b*n*n*b*n*n*

You must feel so relieved and you couldn't ask for a better outcome!

What fantastic news! You must be so happy and relieved and yes -- probably good that the procedure went ahead and there were no uncertainties hanging over things. Plus Madison got a good workup with a positive report back -- all very uplifting!! :) So glad this is the outcome.

Sorry I missed this earlier but so pleased to read this brilliant news! What a relief for you.

Back