• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tongue obsession

Sheri

Hi all,

My dog , Alex, has a tongue obsession. Anytime that he is around my sister's golden retriever he will try to jump up and lick or grab Riley's tongue. Has anyone heard of a King Charles spaniel with a tongue obsession?

My immediate thought is that the tongue is incidental - it's a puppy's effort to get pre-chewed food out of its mother's mouth. Which is why, of course, dogs lick human's faces - nothing to do with affection, an ingrained habit of trying to get their share of what's going. And we reward it by saying 'Oh isn't that sweet' and producing a treat! From the dog's point of view, works every time.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Riley is very patient, but he does get irritated after awhile. Perhaps it is that ingrained instinct to get food from the mouth of others.

Back