• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

First night home

Ckcmom

Hi all, we are picking up our little girl cavalier in 13 days! Yes, my husband and I are really excited. We were wondering how to handle the first several nights as we know she will miss her siblings. Should we crate her in our bedroom?

Thanks!

Hi,

When we first got our little girl home, we had a large carrying dog crate that we put her in. She had food water, a training pad and something nice to sleep on. We also put a cover over her crate so she could not see out of her surroundings but obviously could breathe. She was put outside our bedroom door for the first couple of weeks and then we could put her downstairs. As long as she is warm, fed, watered and loved you should not have too much of a problem. Good luck.

I purchase a small crate (only for her as a puppy) with an additional opening on the top. Put in the pad, bedding and a couple small, puppy proofed animals she could snuggle with if she so desired (she was from a litter of five). Placed it on the floor next to my bed. On the second night I heard a slight whimper, opened the top and placed my hand on her for less that a minute. Never had an issue in the four years since. Now she starts out at night on our bed, and when she gets tired she wants down to sleep in the large, door-less crate in our room. She also has a bed outside the crate and a water bowl next to the bed. If there is lightening, thunder or winter wind storms she lets us know she wants back on the bed with us. We're fine with her choosing where she wants to sleep. We love her dearly and simply want her to enjoy life as much as she has enriched our lives.

Thanks to you both for your suggestions. We just don't want her to be too lonely but also learn to sleep at night on her own in a crate. We've owned a larger breed dog in the past and she was miserable for a week but eventually settled down. As this breed craves companionship, all suggestions welcome. Her eye exam is this Wednesday and our breeder, will let us know how it goes.

Our daughter owns owns a tricolor Cavi and we have fallen in love with the breed as many here have. Lots of fun ahead!

There is a book by Dr Ian Dunbar that you can download for free at www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads I think it is called After You Bring your Pup Home. It should give you lots of great information about her first night home, crate training, etc. You're right - you are going to have lots of fun!!! Have you chosen a name yet?

We have not chosen a name yet. Several options include "Winnie" and "Lady." She is the smallest in the litter and has two sisters and a brother, which the breeder is keeping. We feel fortunate to have found a good breeder who does all the tests and certifications. We are as comfortable as we can be with possible health issues that may arise. You never know.

Thanks for the book suggestion. I will download it today and begin reading...12 days and counting! I just put together the puppy playpen.

Welcome, this is a great place to hang out. Both of mine sleep in our bedroom in their crates. I think it makes them feel more comfortable knowing they're not alone in a strange place. Additionally, if they need to go potty during the night, you will be able to hear her. I like the name Winnie, what color is she? Can you post a picture of her? I also see you're in California. I'm in the San Diego area, where are you?

We live in the Bay Area. Our little one is a Blenheim and once I figure out how to post a pic, up it will go! When we have her, I'll move into the puppy question thread as I'm sure we will have a lot of questions!! Went to Lowe's hardware store today and bought a linoleum remnant for under her playpen. My husband just humors me, says it's like we are having another child. Lots of "stuff" to get! Gotta love Amazon.

Welcome, this is a great place to hang out. Both of mine sleep in our bedroom in their crates. I think it makes them feel more comfortable knowing they're not alone in a strange place.

My dogs sleep in our bedroom in crates as well. They run in very happily each evening and look for the small treat that i throw in there. I started them out as pups this way. You may expect some crying the first few nights but they settle in relatively quickly. I used to dangle my arm from the side of the bed to comfort them at times. Just stick to your position and the pup will feel comfortable quickly. Also, depending on how young your pup is, it is likely you will need to do a potty run each night. If so, its all business. Take the pup to where you want him/her to relieve himself and be patient. This is not fun and games time. If pup is successful, a small treat and praise, and then back to bed.

good luck!

Joan

Thank you for the suggestions. We have a puppy playpen and our breeder suggested we place the puppy in her carrier in the playpen at night. The playpen is not in our room though. It sits in a family room where we spend the majority of our time. We do want her to sleep in her crate at night. That's what we will try, next to our bed, and keep our fingers crossed. We expect some whining, etc for a while. Our breeder says she sleeps through the night but this transition will be new and strange for her.

Thank you for the suggestions. We have a puppy playpen and our breeder suggested we place the puppy in her carrier in the playpen at night. The playpen is not in our room though. It sits in a family room where we spend the majority of our time. We do want her to sleep in her crate at night. That's what we will try, next to our bed, and keep our fingers crossed. We expect some whining, etc for a while. Our breeder says she sleeps through the night but this transition will be new and strange for her.

Honestly, first one or two nights she might be crying a little , but I bet she settles in quickly. If you want her to ultimately sleep in the crate in the family room, I would start her there, but she might cry for a bit more (and louder) than if she were in the room with you.

My dogs go into my bedroom (upstairs) and their crates only at night. During the daytime, they are downstairs and pretty much have free reign. I do keep one crate available and open, downstairs for Sadie, who sometimes wants her own space and privacy. When she has had enough of things, she will go to her crate/carrier and sleep.

I firmly believe in utilizing the crate at bedtime for many reasons. The most important to me --- in the event of fire, you know exactly where your dog is.

Good luck with her -- can't wait to see pictures.

Joan

Back