Thread: Mass on spleen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mass on spleen

I have a Cavalier who is now 10years old and has grade 5 heart murmur and on meds for this. Also has had SM for a number of years and on meds for this also. I thought I felt something in her stomach when she turned but the Vet could not feel anything. When she went in for heart scan I asked them if they would also scan further back and they found a mass on her spleen. This has increased over the last 4 weeks by 20% and she is going in on Tuesday for removal. I feel my back is up against a wall if I dont operate I would have to have her put to sleep and if I do I may shorten her life by a few months if she does not make it but save her possibly bleeding to death.I could not cope with that now I know there is a problem Has anyone any experience of this when the spleen has not ruptured? My Vet says very rare you can operate when the spleen has not ruptured as not many would have found the lump when the dog appeared healthy or the mass huge. Some good news would be great but I am a realist! I feel I have to give her a chance.
    Last edited by germarey; 10th July 2014 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry to read this, very hard for you. I had a 7 year old rescue Cavalier who went in to be spayed but the vet discovered a cancerous mass on her spleen. This was back in the late 90 's and it was felt at the time that she would not have a good quality of life if they did try to remove the spleen, so sadly she was euthanised (she also had a bad murmur).
    I have read of other dogs who have had the spleen removed and been OK, I guess it depends on their age and what other issues they may be dealing with at the time.

It sounds like you are giving your girl the best possible chance, so I wish her well with the operation. You obviously take great care of your girl, and your post shows how important it is to be familiar with your dog 's body and regularly handle them so you can quickly pick up any changes.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agree with Nicki; sounds like you have considered this carefully and know there could be difficulties. I am so sorry you are going through this and hope she pulls through with no issues. Please let us know how the surgery goes; I hope some others might be able to share experiences as well.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

4. Likes Nicki liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have no advice to give you. I know how long the wait will seem until surgery is on Tuesday. Keep breathing and love her. I hope all goes OK.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

6. Likes Nicki liked this post