• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mass on spleen

germarey

I have a Cavalier who is now 10years old and has grade 5 heart murmur and on meds for this. Also has had SM for a number of years and on meds for this also. I thought I felt something in her stomach when she turned but the Vet could not feel anything. When she went in for heart scan I asked them if they would also scan further back and they found a mass on her spleen. This has increased over the last 4 weeks by 20% and she is going in on Tuesday for removal. I feel my back is up against a wall if I dont operate I would have to have her put to sleep and if I do I may shorten her life by a few months if she does not make it but save her possibly bleeding to death.I could not cope with that now I know there is a problem Has anyone any experience of this when the spleen has not ruptured? My Vet says very rare you can operate when the spleen has not ruptured as not many would have found the lump when the dog appeared healthy or the mass huge. Some good news would be great but I am a realist! I feel I have to give her a chance.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to read this, very hard for you. I had a 7 year old rescue Cavalier who went in to be spayed but the vet discovered a cancerous mass on her spleen. This was back in the late 90 's and it was felt at the time that she would not have a good quality of life if they did try to remove the spleen, so sadly she was euthanised (she also had a bad murmur).
I have read of other dogs who have had the spleen removed and been OK, I guess it depends on their age and what other issues they may be dealing with at the time.

It sounds like you are giving your girl the best possible chance, so I wish her well with the operation. You obviously take great care of your girl, and your post shows how important it is to be familiar with your dog 's body and regularly handle them so you can quickly pick up any changes.

Agree with Nicki; sounds like you have considered this carefully and know there could be difficulties. I am so sorry you are going through this and hope she pulls through with no issues. Please let us know how the surgery goes; I hope some others might be able to share experiences as well.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I have no advice to give you. I know how long the wait will seem until surgery is on Tuesday. Keep breathing and love her. I hope all goes OK.

Back