• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog Stairs and the bed

Super Princess

So Maggie sleeps in my bed.. and i love it.
I used to keep her leashed to the bed because i didnt trust her walking around the room at night..and once or twice she had an accident by the door in the middle of the night.

Well we have had issues with her whining in the middle of the night... waking me up. i always assume she needs out..so i drag myself outa bed..take her out.
sometimes she will go..toher times she will not..and this makes me so MAD. (3 am.. a almsot two year old dog who woke you up to go out who wont do anything)

for one reason or another i took off one of the two leashes that were attached to the bed and was too lazy to put it back..and shes now sleeps without a leash.
I also had moved her food and water dish in there...putting water in both bowls (and she is now using one of my bowls for her food in the livingroom)

suddnly...our whining to get out problem has stopped.
she can jump off the bed and sleep on the floor..or drink as much water as she wants during hte night..and i rarely have to take her out.
SWEET.

except...she wants UP again..and can not jump onto my bed.

So i asked on a local group on facebook (rediculalsy cheap things in victoria) if anyone knew where to get affordable pet stairs.
someone said i coudl have theirs for FREE.
FREE is always good.

so i ipcked up the stairs.

the first night..i showed her how to use them three times.. she dose NOT like to use them and even growled at me the last time. .........she spent the entire night sleeping on my pillow and didnt get off the bed once..of course.
the last few nights...ive been patient..and showing her where the stairs are..and refusing to pick her up..making her use the stairs.
This dose not please her highness at all.
last night i ignored her whines... then i rolled over and showed her hte stairs...ignored her again...showed her again.. she eventaully came up the stairs... and was so mad about it.. she sat herself down on MY pillow and refused to look at me. (usually she snuggles as close as she can get) i rolled over and gave her a kiss..she turned away. LOL

shes such a stubborn little brat...but so am i..we WILL conquire these stairs.

but for now... our midnight problems have been solved. WATER..she gets thursty at night and likes her water.

Work with her during the day with treats and lots of praise to get her to used to the stairs. Try several times a day - just matter-of-factly and if she doesn't want to do it, just leave it for the time being without giving her the treat. If she's treat oriented like most cavaliers, she'll probably come around! My Madison now chooses to use the stairs I got for Riley even though she doesn't need them, she just likes them.

I moved the stairs to the livingroom today (just for the day) to the couch.
as she was wanting up and down.. and soooo whiny. That dog..i tell ya.
Anyways..i refused to pick her up..placed the stairs to the couch..and a treat just out of reach.
she whined and whined and whineeddd.
next thing i know she did it.. was up munching on that treat!:) shes now back down on the ground..but she did it!!

Shes definitly treat orientated. when she was really little blueberries were the way to go...then she got a taste for 'kitty cat food.' and i use a few kibbles of that as treats. she wont touch blue berries anymore. shame.

Back