• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy being picky about food...

msmollygp

I just brought my pup home from the breeder on Friday. He was on Royal Canin Mini Puppy/Mini Starter and it was topped off with shredded chicken, canned pumpkin, and yogurt. I was told that was not eating that well (even with all those extra goodies on top) and it has continued even while he is settling into his home here. So I have started out on the journey of finding a food the he will eat. Of course he likes the one at the store that costs me $200 a month if I fed it full time (Freeze dried Stella and Chewy's)! I have tried sprinkling it on, but he is smart and won't touch the food then he won't eat canned either. I have a vet appointment tomorrow. Any suggestions? I thank you in advance.

P.S. I am in the U.S.

Hi and congratulations on bringing your puppy home. Ian Dunbar has a free, book you can download on what to do when you bring your puppy home. Here is the link. Http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads.

What you need to do, without any fuss, put the food bowl down, if the puppy doesn't eat after 15 minutes, no fuss, no begging to eat, just pick it up. This is the important part, as hard as it might be for you, NO FOOD or TREATS until the next meal time, but always do keep water available. Repeat. Within a few days, your puppy will should be eating regularly.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

"Sydneys Mom
What you need to do, without any fuss, put the food bowl down, if the puppy doesn't eat after 15 minutes, no fuss, no begging to eat, just pick it up. This is the important part, as hard as it might be for you, NO FOOD or TREATS until the next meal time, but always do keep water available. Repeat. Within a few days, your puppy will should be eating regularly."

Good advise! My DW got a puppy that had the same problem. I told her to stop feeding treats, and take up the food. He would eat in a few days. She of course would not listen to me. "O NO I am not killing the dog" she would reply. Off to the vet blood work, and exam about $300.00 and told to stop the treats and take away the food then he would eat in a few days. The advise from her vet worked.

Hello!

I have a 3 month old puppy who isn't a great eater, but goes crazy for cheese. The vet said it was probably a taste thing and he was just being picky. I tried Merrick puppy that was chicken based and he didn't really eat more. Then I tried Natural Balance LID (limited ingredients diet) after seeing someone recommended that online. He's been eating this for about a week and I noticed a change in his poops (they are more solid now) and he's slowly eating more and more every day! I think the original food was bothering his tummy! I recommend the Natural Balance LID. They have it at Petco. We have the lamb and brown rice from puppies to adults.

Back