• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grooming Brush & Comb Clarity Needed

UrbanYogini

With Maya now 5 months I feel a real need to add brushing / combing to our daily routine. Maya often gets little burrs (from the yard) tangled in her fur and this is the second time she has gotten two right near her very sensitive potty area so I will need a tool to help aid in the gentle removals of those. After looking at the Puppy Packet grooming suggestions from the breeder and doing some research online I have a few questions:

Chris Christensen vs Mason Pearson - Is the Mason Pearson truly a higher quality brush? Would you suggest getting the pure Boar Brush, the Boar/Nylon Brush or both brushes? Also what size brushes do you get for Cavaliers?

Pin Brush vs Slicker Brush
- The breeder did not mention a slicker at all and online it seems that pin brushes are recommended more than slickers for Cavaliers but I saw some threads on her that made me question this.... what are your thoughts?

Greyhound Comb vs. CC Buttercomb
- Which is best? The breeder suggested a greyhound comb but it feels odd to order just one small item and pay shipping from a store that only carries one of the grooming tools I need. And again what size / style comb once I decide on brand?

Lastly two people in my home have allergies and while they have not reacted to the dog I do want to be thoughtful of minimizing fur about our home, any suggestions (in addition to regular brushing) for what works in your house? Certain vacumes or something.

FYI -
I have all hardwood floors.

Breeder Suggested -
Isle of Dogs Shampoo & Conditioner
Cowboy Magic (order this online)
Greyhound Comb
Chris Christensen 100% static free Fusion Pin Brush
Chris Christensen Andreas Boar / Nylon Bristle Brush
Cat / Bird Claw Scissors by Millers Forge

Okay since I did not get any feedback I pulled the trigger and ordered the two CC brushes suggested by the breeder and the CC Buttercomb (instead of the greyhound comb)..... wish me luck!

And now just purchased Isle of Dogs Shampoo, Conditioner and Spray...... boy this has been an expensive doggie day.

Good luck!! I've found grooming products are really sort of trial and error. And you'll probably find you prefer other tools more once Maya matures and gets her adult coat. With my guys that was at around 2 years.

Hi UrbanYogini! I'm bringing home our 4 month old tricolor (we named her Cori) in a couple weeks and have been buying up a storm, too! I know their coats will grow and change between now and adulthood, but I wanted to get her used to being groomed right away, too. I'll probably just start by brushing her daily with a soft brush. I *did* buy the Chris Christensen Andreas Boar/Nylon Bristle brush and the 27mm Pocket Pin Brush. I'm hoping the Andreas will be good for right now. If not, I have a bristle brush from our first dog that I think will be gentle. I'll add a CC slicker when she gets older if I think we'll need that, too. I bought Paul Pet Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner. And from CC, I also bought Ice on Ice because I read it was good for getting out tangles and mats and Mystic Ear cleaner because it gets great reviews.

As far as vacuums...I love my Hoover WindTunnel because it has great suction and onboard tools. We have mostly hardwood, too. I think all we can do is brush and vacuum a LOT! I've heard about "deshedding" tools and shampoos, but don't know anything about their safety/effectiveness.

My husband says preparing for this puppy is like getting ready for the first baby! :D

Good luck with your supplies! Let us know how it goes.

BTW--Maya is adorable!!

Amy

Back