• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Out the open gate.

Super Princess

O m g.
I am house sitting at my parents. Grandparents live downstairs. Gma always keeps the gate closed. So I never even looked. Which is totally my fault. this morning I Let maggie out and sat down to relax
But went to take a photo of some birds in a trees and realized gate was wide open

went running down the stairs and driveway,
No maggie in sight. Then I heard her whimpering.
She was at the front door whining to get in.
I walked up behind her, calling her. She thought I was inside calling her, kept looking in te window of the door crying. Till I picked her up.

Stupid stupid! I should always check to make sure the gates closed.
Thank god my dog loves me more ten adventures, that they love on a quiet street.

Scary, thank goodness she's not one to run away.

We were very fortunate recently, too, I was out with the dogs and someone was here doing some work in the garden. When we came back about 3pm, I didn't think to check the gates. The dogs were in and out several times between then and when I went out with them about 9pm to do some watering and discovered the little gate was open! I know Tommy wouldn't go off, but I was VERY surprised that Raasay didn't go...

We are fortunately on a very quiet road, but there are crofts and livestock around, so it's not good for a dog to be out on their own.

I've done this. With similar results - the dogs sit by the door and cry. Thank goodness they are not runners. I've got three dogs, and they all do the same thing.

Glad ad it turned out well for you. There's that awful feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realize they are missing.

So glad Maggie was OK! We are bringing our puppy home in six days (!) and I was just saying how worried I am she might someday get out of one of the FIVE gates we have in our yard if one was accidentally left open.

I can only see one of the gates from the house. That means I would need to go out and check the gates every time we let her out (Of course, I won't be letting her outside alone for awhile.)

The one good thing is that they are all self-closing gates, but sometimes someone will prop one open (if we're doing yardwork or bringing something large into the yard). I may need to talk my husband into building another fence section to close off part of the yard. At least that way, I'd only have TWO gates to check! ;)

Thanks for sharing your story, Chelsea, so we can be more aware!

Amy :)

Any you must be so excited!!!
I remember that week. Longest week of my life. Haha
Didn't sleep a wink before I brought maggie home.
Then slept next to her cage for two nights on the ground.

Yeah we are lucky they aren't runners.
She ran when she was a small pup once. Scared the heck out of me. Eek

Down the road at 11pm. I was in Jammie's and bare feet chasing after her.
Finally said 'bye bye maggie' she stopped and turned toward me and ran to me ten right before she got to me she darted into the street as a car was coming. Had to run I to the street waving my arms so the car would stop.

Only time she'd ever actually took off. So scary.

Chelsea,
Yes, I am so excited, but so nervous, too!! I want to make sure I do everything right!

I remember reading your story about when Maggie ran--so scary! It's good to be aware.

Wish me luck! We have 3 more days to prepare--ack!!

Amy :)

Back