• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Prince still having poorly tummy

rosemary

Hi has anyone got any ideas what i can feed my Prince on.... Just been told he has IBS but tbh i been taking him to vet for 2 years with this diarreah etc nearly every couple of months and the only test that they have done is a stool sample. I am taking him for a second opinion on Saturday at my old Private Vets. Just for a consultation to see if she can shed some light.... I thought I was going to lose him the other day as he had blood pouring out and it looked like the lining of his stomach was coming away with it... (Sorry if I am being too graphic) i took him to the VET... and they didn't seem that bothered.... I had to stop going to private when I retired on medical grounds... I am not saying they are bad but they have not really done anything for Prince.....

Will let you know how I get on..... In the meantime he is on James Well Beloved but I always have to add something to the kibble..... I am scared now incase he has another flare up.....Any suggestions on home made food (thats easy to prepare and maybe freeze for the week)...... Or a decent Kibble thats not too expensive (ie like Science Plan)...
Apart from that poor little boy is happy and playful.:dogwlk:... Hes 2 and a half now....... Still missing my Ruby girl loads.....
:l*v:

Thank you all

Some dogs do have sensitive tums and are prone to haemhorragic gastroenteritis which is what the bloody stool condition is called. It can very often be a medical emergency as a dog can go downhill very very fast -- within hours -- and can be fatal so do always get to a vet immediately when you see this.

Sometimes if you keep a very close eye on their stools you can spot a small bit of blood and prevent a full blown attack by stopping ALL food for 24 hours and giving Prokolin or something else settling to the stomach.

You will likely need to be very careful what you feed -- sometimes this type of situation is due to a food intolerance or allergy. Chicken, beef and grains are common culprits and dairy can also be aggravating. James Wellbeloved does tend to be a decent food for dogs with sensitivities. It comes in a lot of flavours so maybe try a more unusual protein like fish or duck.

I would try a different vet if you are not happy with the one you have.

Commercial treats regularly have unwanted ingredients so you'd be best sticking with natural treats like dried fish or dried sweet potato or tripe etc.

These problems can be a sign of something more serious or may just indeed be a sensitive stomach.

You could try a commercial raw diet as this often completely resolved sensitive stomachs. It did with one of my cats, who had the runs for years.

PS there's information in the Library section on cooked meals. There are also books you can buy and a fundraiser DVD called Rupert's Recipes that can help produce a balanced homecooked or raw diet.

Cavaliers are also prone to pancreatitis, which calls for a low fat diet. It may be worth asking the vet to check for that.

Back