• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Exercising a fully grown cavalier

Aly

Hi there, my 7 month old puppy Chester is currently resting his leg due to a luxating patella, however I wondered when he is back up to full strength how much he will be capable of walking. I would like to take him fell walking when (and if) he is capable. When he was better we were using the 5 minutes per month rule eg 6 months would be 30 minutes, does this apply after he is one year old, I don't want him to walk too far and cause himself damage.

thanks

Alyson

Hi there, no he is on short lead walks for 3 months to strengthen his leg muscles, his luxating patella is caused by his hip being loose, the vet is hoping that his luxation will improve if he has stronger muscles to counteract his poorly knee.

Hi there, no he is on short lead walks for 3 months to strengthen his leg muscles, his luxating patella is caused by his hip being loose, the vet is hoping that his luxation will improve if he has stronger muscles to counteract his poorly knee.
Hmmm... There might be some controversy over this, and your vet may not even really know about it, but maybe weight pulling would be helpful. It requires a special harness though. My cavalier only pulls low weights when he does it, just a few pounds to keep him conditioned, but my harness were packed for a move and haven't come out again yet.

In Oliver's younger days we used to have an annual week's holiday on the Northumberland coast. After a week of running up and down sand dunes he came home with hind leg muscles like iron - excellent exercise, so I hope similar hill walking will help Bosco's hips.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back