• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

lymphoma - I'm devastated

marcela

Hello all.

it has been awhile since I've been here on this forum. We moved back to US in June with our then 8 months old cavalier Dashy, my husband was fighting cancer the whole summer and it is really hard journey for him and the whole family.

My Dashy is now 11 months old and she became suddenly lethargic the other night. Yesterday morning she woke up, didn't want to get out of bed and when she finally did she had hard time walking, she was obviously in pain and so I took her to see a vet. They kept her in for the day, ran some blood tests, ultrasound and gave her back to me on the end of the day, saying that hahaha, he is probably depressed. She looked like she didn't recognized me. So I called the doctor, that she is in much worse condition then in the morning and can't walk at all at this point and how come that they didn't noticed. I was so upset. Took her to emergency clinic and the first doctor said that she's in pain and it comes from her neck. So what now. Their neurologist wasn't there so they send me to another clinic. We spent most of the night their, got some tramadol an went home to see the neurologist in the morning. We were thinking that this could be disc, CM/SM or encephalitis. Long story short, we spent another full day at two clinics today. Got MRI with result no slipped disc, absolutely no CM and no SM. But lymphoma. Most likely. They took another ultrasound, took some sample and as we don't have detailed result yet. It is most likely a cancer. We're going to see an oncologist at wednesday, but Dashy is not feeling good at all. Got ATB and prednisone. We did little bit of reading and it looks like it's not curable. That we're going to lose another puppy. My precious Dashy!!!! Sooner then later. I don't know if you guys have experience or can link me to some sites, I don't know what to do, but I'm devastated. I can't breathe. This last year was absolutely horrid and it feels like we're only getting lemons from life. She is so young, going to be a year old on october 2nd and this is just plain not fair. Anyway, thank you for reading this.

I am so sorry to hear about your Dashy. My Butters passed away at a little under 2 years from complications of an autoimmune disease, five days after the birth of my son. It is difficult to describe that incredible pain of watching a young, beautiful, healthy dog slip away. Dashy sounds like a very special dog, one who has been with you through some difficult times. Try to make the most of the time you have left together. For the last 3 months of Butters' life, I focused so much energy on trying to get him better that I didn't really take the time to sit and be present with him. So much of my free time was devoted to trying to find the answers to save him. It wasn't until 2 days before his passing that I allowed myself to simply sit in the backyard with him, all of my focus on watching him enjoy the gentle spring breeze while nestled on his favorite blanket. I wish I had spent more of my time finding those moments, making him comfortable. You have done all the right things, getting to the bottom of what is going on with Dashy, finding the best care for her, and getting treatment for her symptoms. Dashy is lucky to have such a devoted Mama by her side. Sending hugs to you and Dashy from Texas

Such good advice from Cavalover.

I have no experience of lymphoma but I am a great believer that support from people that have experienced the same problems is invaluable. There is a Canine Lymphoma Facebook Group that may be worth joining?

My heart aches for what you are going through.

Thank you both for nice words. told my daughters today. I wasn't sure if I should, but decided to let them know, that this might be the case. I know that one can't possibly prepare for anything, but didn't want to hide it from them. These girls went thru so much this summer. Moving to strange country, their dad was fighting a cancer this whole summer and we lost our puppy just a year ago.

I'm going to check the Facebook group. I wonder. The vet gave us prednisone saying that we shouldn't give it to Dashy for more then two weeks, because than she would be resistant to chemo. But some other website suggest that you shouldn't give them prednisone at all. The prednisone is helping little bit. She got up last night and went outside and even wiggled her tail. She actually barked this morning and was happy to see my daughters when they got up. Now she's resting in her bed, still same like yesterday, but I was happy to see the glimpse of her. I honestly can't believe it, it's like a nightmare.

I cannot imagine this nightmare that you are going through. I will echo what Margaret said about the support of a peer group. I work with a peer support group for mothers who have babies weighing 3 pounds and under who are hospitalized in the neonatal intensive care unit. These mothers say that family and friends just don't understand what they're going through but someone who has lived it or who has "walked in my shoes" provides the most valuable support and guidance. I hope the Facebook group works out for you and that at your appointment on Wednesday you get some direction.

I remember conversing with you about how spunky Dashy was and how worried you were about the trans Atlantic flight because she was not a docile pup. I'm so sorry this is happening to her and your family on top of all your other worries. Please let us know how it all goes on Wednesday.

So sorry you and Dashy are going through this, on top of all your other problems. Have no experience myself, but send you love from me and my boys.

:hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

What a terrible situation for you and your family to go through. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Let us know what the oncologist says. Hopefully he can give Dashy something to ease the pain. Sending love and prayers.

Sending hugs and prayers to your family. Sometimes it does feel like absolutely nothing is going right, and I feel your pain. It's very hard to be strong for your husband, daughters, and now Dashy. You must be a remarkable woman to deal with so much. Stay strong and know that your family is in my prayers.

Joan

Omg, omg!!!! The neurologist just called. Saying that they got the result and it looks like it's probably not a cancer after all, but inflammatory. He said that it's not 100%, because it wasn't typical biopsy, but wants us to come tomorrow to see an internist instead of an oncologist!!! I just want to cry of happiness, I went to hug her and she was wiggling her tail all happy for me as well.

Maybe we will start getting good news from now on. My family really need that. My husband scan is next month and I'm praying that he's cured as well.

Feeling new strength in my veins again!!! Thank you all for support and courage you gave me!

Last edited:
That's great news!!!!! Hope this is just a little blip in Dashy's health. Fingers crossed for both Dashy and your husband. As a cancer survivor myself, I understand how hard it is to wait for tests and then results. Hugs and hopes that the good news keeps on getting better.

Fantastic news, coming Late to this and was so sorry to read your post, especially that you are also dealing with cancer with your husband. Hoping for good news for him too.

It's extremely rare for a Cavalier to have no CM at all, and even mild CM can sometimes give severe symptoms. If the neurologist is not experienced with CM/SM, they may not interpret the scan correctly. The prednisolone would help with the symptoms.

I hope the internist comes up with some answers, if not, it may be worth getting a 2nd opinion on the scan? Clare Rusbridge is one or the leading experts and does give 2nd opinions (for a small charge).

Thanks everybody!

Nicki, as we lost a young ruby last year due her severe CM I know a lot about all the issues. I was also surprise what he told me and I'm aware of some neurologist not having enough experience with that. I think it's excellent idea to send the scan to Claire. Because I too wonder what this could be? She was trying to get to our bed last night and felt on the floor. She might be just weak at this point, but the way she's walking and the way she was crying before the prednisone treatment makes me wonder. She was definitely oversensitive and painful in her neck. But, she has that enlarged lymph node.
Also, I found death bee on the floor at thursday and maybe this could be a reaction. I don't know. But all the tests are negative, ultrasound of her tummy was fine. I really don't know.

Oh what a relief. I read this through earlier but was shocked and speechless that so much could happen to one family in such a short time. Just what is there to say of any use in such an unfair situation?

Not my dog but I felt I was walking in your shoes, having been through the mill a couple of times with my own dogs for different reasons and I felt your pain intensely. I am so glad that this is not cancer but something inflammatory. Please keep us in the loop when you attend for your new appointment and please give Dash some extra hugs from her Aunty Flo and the four ByFloSins would like to send some for you as well. Therapy dog Holly P sends healing thoughts across the pond and says your hubby needs some too right now, so she's sending extra in the cyber post. She said to mind your head when the cyber man zooms down to deliver because those hugs are very big and heavy :crash:

I hope you continue to get good news today from the internist. We went through a similar thing recently with Madison. She was in acute distress and on x-ray they saw a mass on her throat that we were warned was probably cancer. After waiting two weeks for aspirin to clear her system (for an unrelated condition) so they could do surgery, the mass was no longer there and they determined it was an acute inflammatory response to something. She has since had the same response twice and although it is scary, I know she'll come out of it.

I sure hope Dashy is as lucky as Madison is and that this truly is not cancer. That would just be wonderful news to indeed have it confirmed. Hopefully, whatever she has is manageable and she'll be with you for a very long time now. It's hard being on such a roller-coaster ride of emotions though, so remember to take care of yourself too. Hugs to you and Dashy!

Oh, happy day! I had an awful 2014 summer with health issues with my 17 year old daughter. It so easy to take good health for granted. Hope your husband gets a clean scan and that Dashy is fine. You need some sunshine in your life, and lets hope good news is coming in abundance. Hang in there!

Joan

Went to see the internist and both her and the neurologist looked at her again and the scan. Didn't find anything, all tests are normal, ultrasound fine. One theory is encephalitis. They typically cure it with prednisone but higher dose than we have now. Dashy is on 5mg and would need 10. Doctor said that we can wait till Wednesday and then maybe put her on 7.5mg. We got new wide spectrum antibiotics and we shall see. She's still the same but had lunch and dinner (I gave her salmon as she doesn't want doggy food now). She looks so skinny and miserable.

I hope she perks up soon. Once you get the higher dose of prednisone you'll probably notice a difference. On one hand you can say thank goodness it isn't lymphoma, but then you also hope that if it is encephalitis, that she can be cured. Sounds like it. Your description of her as "skinny and miserable" is so sad. At least she ate some salmon for you. Anything you can get into her at this point, I say go for it! I hope prednisone is the miracle drug for her that it is for so many dogs. Keeping my fingers crossed that the antibiotics kick in too.

So many nice people and so many sad stories here. Hopefully all with happy ends.

Dashy is still the same. I did little bit of reading about encephalitis and meningitis and it scared me so much. I'm thinking about second opinion at the neuro clinic, but not sure about that.

The internist sent me an e-mail today and I spoke with her and we decided on 10mg of prednisone. I'm real, really nervous about that, but honestly I'm not sure what to do at this point. I was also nervous to start anti seizure medicine first with our Nairin and still regret it.

CURRENT MEDICATIONS
-Prednisone 5mg tablets: 1 tablet orally twice daily.
-Marbofloxacin 100mg tablets: 1/2 tablet orally once daily.

VITAL SIGNS
WEIGHT=12.1 LBS

HOME CARE
Continue to monitor Dashy for any changes in attitude, appetite or activity level. At this time, I can not definitively determine the underlying cause of Dashy's clinical signs. The lymph node aspirates that were previously performed were consistent with inflammation. In general, you would expect this to represent a reaction to some other condition (a mass, infection, etc). The MRI of Dashy's head and neck did not reveal an overt cause for these signs. In general, most inflammatory conditions we would treat with antibiotics and/or steroids. Since Dashy is already receiving both of these medications, it may be more difficult to interpret further testing. At this time, we will add Clindamycin (75 mg capsule - Give one capsule, by mouth, once a day), in hopes that if there is an infection present that was not covered by the marbofloxacin alone, that the addition of this medication will be helpful. (The dose of marbofloxacin that she was previously prescribed is much higher than I typically recommended - I would reduce her dose to 1/4 tablet (100 mg tablet), by mouth, once a day).

Dashy still seems to have some neurologic deficits (she is not flipping her hind feet over as quickly as I would expect her to). She has some crowding of her cerebellum (which we see in Chiari malformation), but these changes are really subtle - so I would not expect to see clinical signs as minor as the changes are. It is possible that Dashy has some inflammation of her brain/spinal fluid (meningitis), which could cause these signs. We would need to consider obtaining sample of her spinal fluid (CSF tap) to assess this further. Many of the diseases that cause inflammation of the brain/spinal fluid are responsive to steroids. Since Dashy is already receiving steroids, these results may be difficult to interpret. We could consider increasing her dose of steroids, but since she has improved slightly and has a heart murmur, I would be reluctant to increase her dose right away. I recommend giving her a couple days to determine if her condition is continuing to improve before considering altering her steroids.

I recommend limiting Dashy's activity to leash walks (using a harness) for the next 7-10 days. This will help to ensure that if Dashy acutely injured herself that this is allowed a chance to heal. Please do not allow Dashy to jump on and off of furniture and go up and down stairs during this time.

We will make changes in Dashy's therapy based on her response. If Dashy's condition declines, further diagnostics/therapy may be recommended earlier.

I am not a neurologist, neither do I have experience of Cavaliers with inflamatory conditions, but I do recognise from what the neuro. says that there is a degree of CM here, which is something I am all too familiar with. Is the neuro. familiar with the condition? If so, does she follow the recommendations in Dr. Rusbridge's treatment algorythm? If she is not familiar, perhaps you could either refer her to the site or download and print a copy out so that you can take it into the consulting room with you and look at together.

Back